Funny Smell

Today, for the first time i floored the pedal on the first 4 gears, i was just trying it by myself on the side of the highway....ok well my question is, is it normal to kinda smell funny. Like it smells like its burnt or something, but since i got home around 5:30, i have had a fan blowing on the engine in the garage, now its 8:00 and it doesnt smell anymore. So is the smell normal, would that smell come if it wasnt pushed real hard for awhile?

ZX2Down

Established Member
race the car all the way threw 4th gear get a toasty smell from the car, you can even smell it in the cabin least that me im assuming blk98 has the same issue

thats exactly what i get.......personally i think its the burnt clutch smell, oh and another thing, at a high rpm, 5000 and above the clutch pedal will start to go down....weird crap, im taking it to the dealer tomorrow to tell them though

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Blk98Cobra
thats exactly what i get.......personally i think its the burnt clutch smell, oh and another thing, at a high rpm, 5000 and above the clutch pedal will start to go down....weird crap, im taking it to the dealer tomorrow to tell them though

If this is happening then your clutch is toast.

Dino S.

Established Member
Yeah, you're clutch is going. One thing to remember is at the top end of fourth (especially with stock gears) you're moving pretty fast, and you probably had to hit the brakes fairly hard. Any time you have to ride the brakes from 120 or so down they heat up good and often smell (cause theyre burning). That could be what you're smelling also.

just something to think about.

well i had my friend's dad check it out today and try it also......he is damn good with cars, and he said my clutch is in perfect condition, he also said that i feather the clutch when i drive it hard, and that i shouldnt do that.....and it didnt smell today either so im happy.:)

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
The smell means you are using [abrasion and heat]a lot of clutch material at that time. After it cools down it will be fine-until you do it enough to use the material up. Then it's new clutch time.

Users who are viewing this thread