Gearbox whine?

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Anyone have a slight whine coming from their 6spd manual trans? I get just a little bit of whine in all gears. It reminds me of my Viper T56 trans in my 04 GT, but, I figured that Ford would have figured out how to make a quiet manual gearbox by now..

Travis

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
It's definitely my trans.. Makes a light whining noise on acceleration. It's not a big deal, and I don't think it's anything "wrong", per say. More of a gripe, really.. ;)

stang1971

Established Member
mine does too....no car is gonna be 100% quiet.... as long as i dont have to turn up the radio to overcome the noise.. im fine with it.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
My trans didnt whine when I first got it and now it whines quite a bit after ford replaced the clutch. But I am just going to drive until my clutch explodes again.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Def do that. I can see a TR6060 upgrade becoming popular on these cars.

I thought the new GT had the TR6060? If not, what trans is in this car?

Wondering if I should pull the Steeda intake and the tune out before I bring it in..? What about the 4.10's? These guys know that I've run the car hard.. I know a few of them at the dealership. However, it DID whine when I first took the car off the lot, and I even made a comment to the salesman when he followed me to get my first tank of gas that it whined a bit.

The bottom line, is that I really haven't done anything that would have made the transmission whine.. And, it whined from day one. I didn't buy this car to drive it like a grandma, and I expect the transmission to hold up to a little bit of spirited driving. If it gets ugly, I will put my foot down (if I have to).. but, I hope it doesn't come to that. I haven't done anything outside of the scope of the design of this car.

I AM going back down to 3.73's, so, I could have the tech just flash the ECM for the gear change. Then, I could remove the tune and intake without throwing off the speedo.

Travis

Last edited:

wazslow

Established Member
I thought the new GT had the TR6060? If not, what trans is in this car?

Wondering if I should pull the Steeda intake and the tune out before I bring it in..? What about the 4.10's? These guys know that I've run the car hard.. I know a few of them at the dealership. However, it DID whine when I first took the car off the lot, and I even made a comment to the salesman when he followed me to get my first tank of gas that it whined a bit.

The bottom line, is that I really haven't done anything that would have made the transmission whine.. And, it whined from day one. I didn't buy this car to drive it like a grandma, and I expect the transmission to hold up to a little bit of spirited driving. If it gets ugly, I will put my foot down (if I have to).. but, I hope it doesn't come to that. I haven't done anything outside of the scope of the design of this car.

I AM going back down to 3.73's, so, I could have the tech just flash the ECM for the gear change. Then, I could remove the tune and intake without throwing off the speedo.

Travis

Its a Getrag MT82 trans.

Users who are viewing this thread