Gen 2 mustang 5.0 coyote engine Knocking

oxfordgray

Hey everyone, have 2016 mustang GT premium with the 5.0 coyote motor. Car has 13k miles. Just got it about a week ago. Starting off with Crank shaft position sensor, replaced that engine ran great for about 150mile as I drove home. Car threw code again started making knocking noise from top of engine thought it was VCT solenoids. Replaced all 4. Started car and sounds got substantially worse. No more codes but really bad knocking. Thought it must be cam phasers.
Drained oil and filter, oil drain plug had some metal shavings on the magnet but nothing to crazy, and filter looks pretty normal. Took car to Dowling Ford for the phasers emissions warranty and now they are saying the car needs a completely new engine, saying it has rod knock.
Anyone ever experience this or something like it with such low milage?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Hey everyone, have 2016 mustang GT premium with the 5.0 coyote motor. Car has 13k miles. Just got it about a week ago. Starting off with Crank shaft position sensor, replaced that engine ran great for about 150mile as I drove home. Car threw code again started making knocking noise from top of engine thought it was VCT solenoids. Replaced all 4. Started car and sounds got substantially worse. No more codes but really bad knocking. Thought it must be cam phasers.
Drained oil and filter, oil drain plug had some metal shavings on the magnet but nothing to crazy, and filter looks pretty normal. Took car to Dowling Ford for the phasers emissions warranty and now they are saying the car needs a completely new engine, saying it has rod knock.
Anyone ever experience this or something like it with such low milage?
Not on a coyote but I did have a similar issue with a Tacoma. I bought it with about 10k miles but was 7 years old. At around 20k, crankshaft snapped. Obviously a manufacturing defect that would have showed up early on and under warranty if it was driven. I learned low mileage vehicles can be just as bad as high. Sorry to hear that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread