Getting a Gen 1 L, what to look for?????

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
Im getting a Gen 1 L, what should I look for when buying? I travel a lot on LONG trips. Trips like Illinois to California. I need something reliable and I hope Gen 1's offer this such comfort. I am looking for you all to help me with the information about these trucks as I am not familiar with them. What is the first thing to GO on the trucks when it reaches higher milage? The truck I get will have between 80 and 100K miles on it. One has 91k miles and a new trans and is otherwise stock. Another Im looking at is stock with 95k miles on it.

Should I pay more for the one with the new trans or will the 95k mile trans hold up?

I know you might not know what I am trying to ask here but please share info that I should be aware of before I buy. I don't know, maybe they will run stock till 200k miles. That is why Im asking you guys.

Thanks in advance.

SVTdubs

Established Member
also will chrome 18" 99 L wheels fit the stock tires or are the stock wheels on first gens only 17"???

lightnin4030

Established Member
My truck stillhas the stock transmission, stock block, although I just put a powerdyne on it. and I have 182,000 miles on it. I would drive it right now from Va. to Cali. and would not think twice about it. You can put 18" rims on them but the lug pattern is different. I think the lug pattern on the Gen2's is 5x135mm. The pattern on a Gen1 is 5x5.5. I have the 18's on mine but I ordered them from O.E.Wheel distributors out of Sarasota Fl. Happy Hunting and I hope this Helps.

lightnin4030

Established Member
I beat the living tar out of mine. Every chance I could get to let her fly, she would fly. Some guys on NLOC.net have had there share of problems with theirs, but I have had none with mine. The only maintenance I had to do on mine was to replace the radiator. All other maintenance was voluntary.(pickrel exhaust/P-30SST, powerdyne, egr delete plate, removing all smog equipment, putting on 30# injectors). Check the one you want to get over real well, just do your own visual inspection of the whole truck just as you would any other vehicle. Like I said , I just installed a supercharger on it with 182,000 and I am pretty sure she will handle it or I would not have installed it. Also like other cars there are some lemons in the lot so just do alot of searching and be careful. If you have any other Q's just e-mail me . [email protected]

Last edited:

SVTdubs

Established Member
so I should be ok getting one with 91k miles and rebuilt tranny, stock motor and everything else. I just want to put chrome 00 L wheels on it and spintech exhaust and call it quits. I also will have a tow package because I might have to tow the Cobra if I break a halfshaft.... Your saying I should have no problems driving the 91k miled L to CA and back from IL? I will only have it for 2 years and don't expect to put more than 30000 miles on it. Would it still hold up if I took it to a track a few times?

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
Originally posted by 00SVTdubs
I also will have a tow package because I might have to tow the Cobra if I break a halfshaft.... Your saying I should have no problems driving the 91k miled L to CA and back from IL? I will only have it for 2 years and don't expect to put more than 30000 miles on it. Would it still hold up if I took it to a track a few times?

i have driven mine from kansas city to to ft. wayne il. about a ten hour trip. it wasn't too bad, but it is a regular cab pick up. i would've liked to be able to lean the seat back a little more. other than that it was cake. btw, i got over 17mpg on the way out and about 16 on the way back.

the gen 1's had a towing package option. you might look for that when looking around for one. mine has it. also the 94 and 95's have better trannys than the 93. plus they (95's and some 94's) have the coveted center seat/console.

good luck! :beer: - chris

SVTdubs

Established Member
check these out... which one... here are my choices

red 93 95k miles $6000 firm
hitch, scratch on door, new tires, dented tailgate, no cruise control
local guy

black 95 with 32k miles. It has a shudder at 50-60mph other than that it is perfect. (Any idea what this is???) $6000 firm as is
one state away for location

Black 95 with 91k miles, lowered, rebuilt tranny, new tires, torque converter, roll pan.... $7500 obo
in ATL, GA... Im in IL

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i'm likin' the one in ga. the one with 32k on it don't sound too bad either. the shudder could be anything. tires, or maybe torque converter is going bad, i don't know. if you can drive it check it out by hitting the breaks slightly to unlock the converter and see if it goes away. or turning off the o/d and see if that changes anything. just some suggestions.

SVTdubs

Established Member
he said its something electrical, when he floors it there is no problem as well as decelerating... he says it only happens when maintaining a certain speed at like 50 or so.... if you hit the brakes or give it gas, it goes away for a while then comes back

lightnin4030

Established Member
I am also like ezernut, the one in Ga. sounds pretty good. But the one with 32,000 on it might be a gold mine, it does not sound like anything major, and if you go look at the one in Ga, stop and look at the one in VA. I would go onto nloc.net and ask the guys/gals in the GenI forums about what the shudder might be. I bought my truck with 142,000 on it and I paid $7,000 in Feb of '01. I had a shudder on mine and it turned out to be the weight on 2 of the tires had come off throwing it off balance.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by lightnin4030
I am also like ezernut, the one in Ga. sounds pretty good. But the one with 32,000 on it might be a gold mine, it does not sound like anything major, and if you go look at the one in Ga, stop and look at the one in VA. I would go onto nloc.net and ask the guys/gals in the GenI forums about what the shudder might be. I bought my truck with 142,000 on it and I paid $7,000 in Feb of '01. I had a shudder on mine and it turned out to be the weight on 2 of the tires had come off throwing it off balance.
Sounds like a good deal to me

emanohio

Worked at a Ford in the late 90's. Lots of E4OD trannys had problems with "rumbling" or shudder in overdrive. First, and easiest step is to flush the ENTIRE transmission system with new fluid, including the cooler lines, and draining the torque convertor. IT IS CRUCIAL THAT YOU DRAIN THE CONVERTOR, AND COOLER LINES WHEN YOU FLUSH THE SYSTEM TO GET ALL THE OLD FLUID OUT. I can't remember what exactly it is that makes this happen, something in the convertor. I do know that if it fixes the problem, Ford recommends flushing the fluid every 15 - 20 thousand miles. I always told people to have it done every 4 - 5 oil changes. Hope this helps.

Sharp

Established Member
Get the low mileage one. That is a steel! If it's spotless, that truck can go for up to $9500. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread