going from t45 to 3550

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
What all do I need? I"m going to the base model 3550. NOT a tko or tko II. I plain jane 3550. Also, how hard is it going to be to get the top bolts of the tranny? What tools would I need? Will I have to undo two engine mounts and swing the whole thing down? or Should I be able to get to them fairly easily?

thx for the replies.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Dunno about most of your question, but on my 95R the tranny unbolts with 4 bolts going into the bell housing. The bell housing stays put (unless you want to get to the clutch). Maybe someone can help here, but would that mean you would need to change bell housings to go to a 3550?

Brian

SNK BITN

Established Member
You will need a new bellhousing. You can choose from a lakewood steel bellhousing/scattersheild or a D&D aluminum one. The aluminum is a direct fit where as the lakewood has to be dialed in. A Pauls HP crossmember spacer is also needed since the BH/Tranny is shorter. Your current clutch and flywheel will do just fine.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I'm told this already has a 4.6 bellhousing on it. Don't know which one, though. Where can I order the crossmember spacer? Also, what about the electronics (speedo)?

SNK BITN

Established Member
the spacer you can get from www.paulshp.com

what gear are you runnin? You may need an abbott to correct the speedo if your running a tall gear. The driveshaft yolk MAY have to be changed. Look further into that to see if its necessary.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I'm running a 4.30. I"ave got a speedcal...where can I find out if the DS yoke needs to be changed?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I assume that this is the spacer that I need:

PHP TKO Adaptor - The TKO Adaptor corrects the driveshaft output angle and allows the crossmember to stay in the shock location. It is used with the Tremec 3550 TKO-style transmissions for 2-valve and 4-valve engines. It can be used with any exhaust system. Comes with necessary hardware for installation.

Cost: $59.99 Installation: $40

tkoadap.gif

SilverLight00

Established Member
Becareful of the 3550 output shaft . We have broke 3 in a year .
We upgraded the output shaft from a TKO and are still running .

SilverLight00

Established Member
we took out the output shaft from the 3550 and put in a TKO output shaft . All the other parts are still the 3550 parts , we just switched the output shafts .

LXH89

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
DId you run the stock driveshaft with a spacer?

I have a 3550 in mine with a lakewood bellhousing. I am using an 87-93 FRPP Aluminum driveshaft with a UPR spacer. I had very pronounced vibration prior to installing the spacer (but only in 4th). After installing the spacer, no more vibes.

Tony

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
is this in the cobra or the 5.0? See, now I'm getting confused. Do I need the TKO adapter AND the D/s spacer? or just either one?

Anyway, I called the guy last night about the tranny and I got it for $950 and it comes with everything they needed to put it on his 98 cobra. So that's shifter, tranny, bellhousing. I asked if that included whatever was needed for the d/s. He said he wasn't quite sure, he wasn't the one that did the install, but he said whatever they took off the car when they put the stock tranny back on is what I get for 950$

LXH89

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
is this in the cobra or the 5.0? See, now I'm getting confused. Do I need the TKO adapter AND the D/s spacer? or just either one?

Anyway, I called the guy last night about the tranny and I got it for $950 and it comes with everything they needed to put it on his 98 cobra. So that's shifter, tranny, bellhousing. I asked if that included whatever was needed for the d/s. He said he wasn't quite sure, he wasn't the one that did the install, but he said whatever they took off the car when they put the stock tranny back on is what I get for 950$

This is in the cobra. With the FRPP driveshaft I used, it's a straight fit with the spacer. No yoke needed.

Tony

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
hrm...I just don't want to get up under there and go through all the trouble of getting the new transmission on just to find out that the D/S won't fit/work.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
OKay. Here is another question. Will the bolts that come off the old transmission work with the new one, or will I need to buy new bolts?

SNK BITN

Established Member
you will need your old tranny bolts so that you can bolt the tranny to the bellhousing. The bellhousing comes with bolts, your stockers will no longer work as they are too long.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
The top two bolts may look like a pain, but I use a 12" ext w/ universal...it's a snap. I broke my output shaft on my first 3550 and had the whole xsmsn replaced. I got another one direct from TTC and have had no problems in three years. I use a frpp alum driveshaft with no spacers or anything...works great. I did have to modify my xsmsn crossmember though

Users who are viewing this thread