Got a problem with my 2000 F150

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4 motor and 45,000 miles. Since the weather changed a couple of weeks ago my oil pressure guage has been going nuts. It drops to 0 and the warning light comes on. I called my local Ford service tech who is a close friend and he put me through the drills of. What oil filter and oil you using? Did you check your oil level? Etc.

Amsoil oil & filter as always.
5w 30
1,600 miles since last change
Oil level one and a half cross hatch lines from full. (So good to go.)

He suggested I change the oil in case of bad filter. So I did and put on a Motorcraft filter with the Amsoil oil.

Still did it.

They said change the oil pressure sensor. So I had Ford order me one. Since I picked it up last Tuesday and the engine has not done it again until today.

What I have noticed is. It only happens when it is 21 degrees or less outside with the wind blowing. Most of the time when there is snow and/or slush. Does not do it after over night in heated garage. Does not do it after the engine has been running and shut off. No lifter or valve noise. Of I hit a bump in the road it reads right and then goes back to 0.
If I pull off and shut the ignition off and restart it clears up sometimes but not always. After about 1 - 2 minutes of driving and then shut off engine and restart it goes away until the engine gets real cold again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. It is driving me nuts and the local Ford service people tell me it either the sensor or possibly the guage itself but I have to by the whole guage cluster to get a new one and it costs $288.00 plus tax.

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
sounds like a bad sensor. When they get old they get touchy and really cold weather like that can do it. You need to get a actul oil pressure guage on it and see what its reading. You can just get a steering colum pod and used oil pressure guage for cheap and mount it and never worry about the stock crap again.

Thats what i did on the mustang and my old 99 f150.

KnightHawks97

Objects N Mirror R Losing
Established Member
Yup that happened to me too. I read all over on F150online and almost everybody has the bad sensor. And everybody is discovering the problem around this time of year.

Does someone make a oil pressure sensor that is high quality, NON-Ford? I'd like to still use the factory gauge but with a better-than-Ford sensor.

Red99CSVT

Established Member
I had a similar problem on my 91 F-150 the stock oil pressure gauge is a joke I hooked up an auto meter sport-comp mechanical gauge and put in a dual gauge pod.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your answers. I went back to the dealership and talked to them last Saturday and one of the head mechanics told me they have had so many come back in it wasn't funny. He said under warranty he does know how many have been brought in on a roll back for Ford to pay. It would seem Ford would see their mistake because of the warranty/towing/money issues and put in a good/great sensor. Its hard to believe they have not fixed this problem.

KnightHawks97

Objects N Mirror R Losing
Established Member
wvmystichrome said:
It would seem Ford would see their mistake because of the warranty/towing/money issues and put in a good/great sensor. Its hard to believe they have not fixed this problem.

I've owned 3 Fords so far. All of them have had their "issues" that were common to all. Ford likes to leave it up to the owner to discover the problem and fix it himself, whether under warranty or not.

Users who are viewing this thread