Got orders to Schofield, Hawaii.

jmsa540

Established Member
It'll be just me and my wife and our cat.. Planning to live on base. Going to leave the Mystic back in NC.

Any one got any other advice for me?

clbailey

Established Member
Drive the mystic up to Coweta County and leave it at my house? Ive herd nothing but good things from my friends who are stationed in Hawaii.

Sirl

Established Member
My neighbor is over there, MP. I see his pics on FB... gotta say... it doesnt look to bad!

Thanks for your service!

nickf2005

Established Member
If I had to report somewhere outside of the Contiguous 48... I'd have to say Hawaii would be first choice. Buddy from HS spent over 3 years there. Good luck in your endeavors. What will you be doing?

Edit: Thank you for your service.

YukonRally

Established Member
I spent some time over at Hickam. The island is beautiful, but you can loop the whole thing pretty quickly. Island fever does hit quick, so stay as active as possible. Go up to North Shore and hang out, check out the Old Pauli highway, and hike up the trails in Maunawili. Diamond head is another must see. The Marine Corp base (K Bay) has an amazing beach that is rarely ever busy.

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
I just left there in Aug, spent 4 years in Hawaii. Loved it and hated it, it has its ups and downs. Over all though its a awesome place, Im at Fort Lewis now and miss Hawaii lol.
Are you aware of the animal quarantine rules in Hawaii? Asking because you mentioned a cat, well if you aren't you might want to look them up. Pretty much is going to cost you $1200 and your pet has to spend 3 months locked up unless you meet the requirements (blood work, shots..etc).

BAH and COLA is awesome in Hawaii, I made bank there.
Locals for the most part are cool, you'll run into a few that dont really like non-hawaiians but over all not bad. Food is expensive, milk really does cost $6-7 a gallon.
Another thing that sucks is buying plane tickets back home to the mainland to visit family and what not.
Enjoy!

MP's I believe just got back, I was in 3rd Brigade but I know we just got back in April and are set to ship out again.

Last edited:

Nukem1040

Established Member
I was on Wheeler from 05-08. Miss that place. Funny you have a Mystic. I bought the only 2 that were on the island, and brought them to GA. Ended up selling both.
Telling us your MOS will help tell you where you may be going. Have fun and enjoy North Shore!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Since you don't have kids, the potential for pure awesome is phenomenal. Travel between the islands is bad enough for two .. with more than that it can get expensive quick. Oahu has a lot of good activities but as was said earlier once you have been around the island not much else to do except go to the beach and that gets old after awhile. but if you can get to the other islands for a weekend or two that makes up for it. get your cat's medical stuff cleared before you leave. having to leave a pet in quarantine for 3-6 months sux ass.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Yeah, get animals taken care of before you arrive and don't pack any snakes LOL. Not bad but island fever does set in quick if your use to lots of travelling. I make it a point to find a mission at least every 3-4 months to get away for awhile. No tracks or room to really play over here.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I just left there in Aug, spent 4 years in Hawaii. Loved it and hated it, it has its ups and downs. Over all though its a awesome place, Im at Fort Lewis now and miss Hawaii lol.
Are you aware of the animal quarantine rules in Hawaii? Asking because you mentioned a cat, well if you aren't you might want to look them up. Pretty much is going to cost you $1200 and your pet has to spend 3 months locked up unless you meet the requirements (blood work, shots..etc).

BAH and COLA is awesome in Hawaii, I made bank there.
Locals for the most part are cool, you'll run into a few that dont really like non-hawaiians but over all not bad. Food is expensive, milk really does cost $6-7 a gallon.
Another thing that sucks is buying plane tickets back home to the mainland to visit family and what not.
Enjoy!

MP's I believe just got back, I was in 3rd Brigade but I know we just got back in April and are set to ship out again.

you'll do A LOT of your shopping on base, there it doesn't cost that much...

Users who are viewing this thread