Great mod/fix

ryanblacksvt

Established Member
Ok my shifter has been sloppy for some time now due to the cable end gromits being GONE, well I got some for $23.00 and replaced them this weekend and wow what a differance. I had to drive for a while this weekend to get used to the car again the shifter is so tight. I sudgest to everyone to do this if you have any movement beyond 1/2 inch side to side and front to back.

Very quick and easy install and WELLLLLLLLLLLL worth it!

SVTJames

Established Member
Where did you buy them? My moves just about an inch I want to make it tight, maybe a short throw but if this works, then nvm short throw!

ryanblacksvt

Established Member
A short throw wont do anything about that, you need new linkage. I got mine from Bill Jenkins, which I hate cause I ALWAYS go to Steve at Tousley ford, but hey they are both great guys.

ryanblacksvt

Established Member
Just call either Steve or Bill Jenkins and get the end links, 1 is white and 1 is black.

The black one is up higher and it a pain to get to but once you grab it youll be good if its not stuck, if it is wow get a good pair of plyers and break the plastic apart but watch out cause the cable end is plastic and if you break that, then you must get new cables.

The white one is the lower one and thats the easiest. You will see a orange clip with a spring sticking out towards the read of the car, push the clip in and pull it off, if it wont come off do as you have to on the upper one.

Once they are off, its as simple as opening the bad and taking the new one out pushing it on the cable and releasing the orange clip for tension, placing the gromit over the cable selector nipple and your good to go.

It toom a few hours cause mine were both stuck on there but even if it took all day it would still be wellll worth it.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Interesting..The word on the cougar forums were that you couldn't get just the grommets. Do you have a part number?

ryanblacksvt

Established Member
Yes you can and I proved it. Part #'s are
#F7RZ-7412-AA
and
XS8Z-7412-GA
And pics to prove it.
2m2uouo.jpg

44l0cvm.jpg

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
I talk to(PM'd) Bill Jenkins friday. He said it all comes down to wether or not you have the newer type shift cables. My coug is a 99. I gave him my vin, hopefeully I'llg et some good news this week. Thank you for posting those pics as well.

Users who are viewing this thread