GT350 OEM Shifter

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Steeda Autosports releases its billet Tri-Ax short-throw shifter for the S550
do we know if this will work for our GT350s? and if so whats your thoughts on this product thanks.

As Travis mentioned, that shifter from Steeda is earmarked for use on the MT82 transmission and not the TR3160.

I whipped up some quick conceptual sketches in cad and animated them for some clarity. First, the MT82. Note that the shifter handle, when moved left or right, moves in the opposite direction of the output shaft below it.

[video=youtube;VPpOD44aX74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPpOD44aX74&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And here's another one that shows how the pendulum design, used on the GT350 as well as the GT500, tries to swing the output shaft into rotating. This design has the shaft rotating in the same direction as the stick above it when moved left or right.

[video=youtube;RIoBkWBuKYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoBkWBuKYc[/video]

While you could argue certain advantages to each method, in my view, the "bolt-action" design that the MT82 uses is superior. However, in the case of the factory MT82 shifter, much of the precision is lost due to the support hardware that Ford decided to use for production.

As for the Steeda MT82 shifter, it appears as though they have eliminated any bushing at all at the front of the arm where it attaches to the transmission. They also aren't saying anything about the lower linkage arms, etc, but it would appear that they want you to reuse the stock hardware.

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Wow, I'm just a CPA and this is a pretty amazing analysis that even I can understand. I can understand the tax code, but this stuff usually goes right by me. Many thanks.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Excellent write up and a path for the aftermarket to follow. Thank you for the education!

My MGW Shifter was one of my first mods on my 03 Cobra - and if I can afford a GT350 it will be one for that car as well.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Wow, I'm just a CPA and this is a pretty amazing analysis that even I can understand. I can understand the tax code, but this stuff usually goes right by me. Many thanks.

:rockon:

My MGW Shifter was one of my first mods on my 03 Cobra - and if I can afford a GT350 it will be one for that car as well.

I can only say that you are a very wise man and you have a clear vision of what the future holds.

:beer:

Randy M

Established Member
The first manufacturer that can guarantee no vibration, NVH etc and provide solid shifting, no missed shifts will get my money.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
An honest shifter manufacturer won't be guaranteeing "no vibration/NVH" on a GT350 unit. Simply ain't happening with an 8,250rpm ceiling, regardless of Ford's countermeasures to smooth up this powerplant. Solid/no missed shifts - it's being worked on as we speak.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Someone sent this to me earlier today, and article written by Csaba Csere, who has been around for a long time.

_GT350 shifter from C and D.jpg

I can't help but feel that Csaba is a bit out of touch. Clutch pedal effort on S550 models, including the GT350, has been a hot point of discussion. The majority have made it clear - the pedal is over assisted and directly impacts feel, negatively. Many have resorted to either yanking the assist spring or trying a weaker or lower poundage spring. The shifter isn't something I'd be lauding about either.

If somebody has a clear shot of the two page spread in this month's C&D I'd love to see all of what is there. Otherwise I'll pick up the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread