GT500 looks??

Do you like the looks of the GT500?

• Total voters

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
I like it a lot..

did you ever notice how similar the 04 GT and 04 Cobra look then? Theres what exterior just front fascia, COBRA in rear bumper, which i think its different anyway, and the tail lights i think are a different shade. Oh and wheels

so whats your point? :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
dezzracer said:
Try to buy one for MSRP...you wont.

that's what they said about the 03's and I just walked into my local dealer and ordered one on X-plan in June 2002

I remain confident that I will be able to do the same thing for the GT500 :coolman:

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

Whiskey City said:
Iceman, just type the magazine info here.

Ford's press release says 450hp/450tq. I believe it's the writers and fans who say "plus". We won't know until one gets out on the street and someone dynos it. Personally, I believe it'll be similiar to the Terminator as far as underrating. The Terminator says 390hp and people dyno it at around 350 rwhp which says 390 is just about right, maybe 400 but hard to tell. The good news is that for a couple hundred in bolt-ons and a tune and you're pullin' 450rwhp/450rwtq. Similar mods should put the GT500 well into the 500rwhp/rwtq range no problem. Good news for us...bad news for them (Z06/SRT/DSM/TRD,etc).

Also, the "500" in GT500 does not referr to hp. It's a refresh of the old GT500's from the past. Google 1968 GT500 and you'll see what I mean.

The GT500 has Ford GT heads and a similar S/C. That's about it. the block/pistons/rods/crank, et al, are different. This engine isn't going to redline at 8K like the GT's does.

And lastly, the price point is supposed to be just a few precent above the '04 SVT Cobra which puts this car in the high $30k's. Jpjr and I have a lot of beer riding on this so I hope I'm right.

Good times :beer:

DISCLAMER: I am not an expert...but I play one on the web.

You're wrong,I called SVT and they told me it will be 450+hp. He said the minimum would be 450, but it will definetly be more, like maybe 475. This thing is gonna run circles around your old Cobra. Don't get me wrong, you've got an awesome car, and I love my 99, but this thing is a couple steps above the 03/04, or maybe even more. :coolman:

Later

LCCOBRA

Established Member
gonein60 said:
You're wrong,I called SVT and they told me it will be 450+hp. He said the minimum would be 450, but it will definetly be more, like maybe 475. This thing is gonna run circles around your old Cobra. Don't get me wrong, you've got an awesome car, and I love my 99, but this thing is a couple steps above the 03/04, or maybe even more. :coolman:

Later

I wouldn’t totally agree with that and think the GT 500 will be sweet and have lots of power but the 03/04 cobras are still just as fast and easy to mod. A pulley swap and your at 450 easy.

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

LCCOBRA said:
I wouldn’t totally agree with that and think the GT 500 will be sweet and have lots of power but the 03/04 cobras are still just as fast and easy to mod. A pulley swap and your at 450 easy.

Displacement(5.4L)my friend, displacement. It means more torque up high and down low, the S/C 4.6 is gonna get waisted, and so are all the Ferrari's, Zo6's, eurotrash, rice burners, Vipers, and everything else except maybe a Ford GT supercar. Don't get me wrong, your Terminator is awesome, and I love it, but the S/C 5.4L is gonna take it to another level. I hope you buy one and then put a couple mod's on it, you'll think back and say, man that guy was right, this car is unbelievable.

Later

Paleoc

Established Member
Wasn't sure which forum to put this so I picked this one as my best guess.
Got back today from Carlisle. The pictures don't do the car justice. It is much, much better looking in person. I like the slightly understated look of the car without all the extra scoops and bulges proclaiming "Look at me, I'm a muscle car." It would still look good without the stripes (although I have absolutely NO intention of removing the stripes from the one I buy). It is the same color as the 2000 Cobra R that was parked next to it, a kind of bright orange-red. I didn't pay much attention to the Cobra-R as last week I spent 1/2 hour closely examining one and talking with the car's owner at a show in North Carolina.
The car has the exact same ground clearance as the Cobra-R which is to say without changes to the production vehicle, you aren't getting it over those speed bumps in the neighborhood or even up into your driveway. The first big pothole would probably take some of the undercarriage off. It is 1/2 inch to an inch lower at the top of the hood than the Cobra-R.
The car had 255x19 tires which are at the limit of the rear wheel well. To fit 285's in the rear they will have to flare the wheel well or do something else, otherwise they will stick out. There was virtually no brake dust on the wheels or dirt on the side skirts, so I doubt this car has been driven much farther than in and out of the trailer.
The hood was down, the windows were closed and the doors locked. With the sun angle it made it very difficult to see inside and photography of the inside was impossible. I have read that the seat backs have stitched cobra emblems but I didn't see any markings on the seat fronts or backs. Because of the difficulty seeing in, they may have been there but try as I may I couldn't see any and unless someone else has seen them, I am doubtful as to their existance.
The SVT person I spoke to was extremely tight lipped. He said he was not permitted to discuss ANY details about the car. He said the car would begin production in 14 months and be available for order in 12 months. He said production would be limited to maintain exclusitivity and every Shelby made took away a mustang from the mainstream production. I don't see why Ford would care if they sell a mustang as a V-6, GT or a Shelby but it probably has something to do with moronic bean-counting.

Squeeler92

I know some will want the Shelby to be separate from "the pack", showing the general public that it's something special. Im sure there are just as many people who don't tho. I personally would prefer it not to stand out that much. First off, it gets more attention from the police, though this may be minimal it's definetly a fact that something that's not the run of the mill car will get more attention from EVERYONE. Secondly, going on this same concept, the lowest scum of life, car-jackers will likely love to get their hands on a special edition anything. Thirdly and most importantly, that kid in his Dad's M3 thinking it's just a regular GT coming up against you thinking he's gonna show you up in front of all his friends packed in the car....only to put bus lengths on him and him not making eye contact with you the rest of the way....hahahAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA *cough*

Anywho....I personally would not change anything except for the tail lights. I think they look horrid, even on the GT's. Just something about them just does not rub me the right way....

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I think it looks much better than a regular 05, but I just dont like the new bodystyle at all. However I do like what they are doing with the car performance wise.

94gt

Established Member
Looks to much like a standard Mustang

If it were any other car I could give a shit, but don't screw up the first Shelby Mustang in 37 years. It is strongly based off the 68 GT500KR. Shelby's cars always were made on purpose to look differently than a standard Mustang. From any angle you could instantly tell a Shelby from a standard Mustang. The taillamps need to go for starters. :kaboom: The replacement, the wide across the deck taillamps off the GT-R are a perfect fit and tribute to the original Cougar and Thunderbird lights off the 67-68 which the car pays homage to. :thumbsup: The GT-R is so heavily based off the 68 Shelby anyway it's not even funny. I called SVT and they said they were considereding the taillamps. Maybe if a few more people call it will be changed. The standard taillamps are awful. Shelby style foglights either centered or on the edges inside the grill would be great. :pepper: Aftermarket companies have already jumped all over this for the new 2005's. There is a photo of a GT500-R concept from SVT in the GT500 motor trend issue with Shelby headlights centered 67 style close together so maybe this will happen. Again phone calls to SVT to let them know will help. It needs to be at least an option anyway. There are side scoops on the clay model the May issue of Motor Trend and they bring great asthetic appeal. The hood scoops will be non functional, but they like the side scoops look cool so they are perfectly warranted. :coolman: I really hope they keep the Shelby lettering on the back with or without stripes as this looks great and nods at the 68 Shelby's. Painted stripes would defineatly be better than vinyl. On the interior I would like the interior upgrade package currently available to be an option. The concept has the mid grade sport package. This gets it's motivation directly from 1967 and it looks great. The steering wheel has to much leather in it. The perfect GT500 Cobra 2007 style! :rockon: :bowdown:

shocker 420

Established Member
The only thing I'd want to do as far as looks goes, is lower it. but i don't know cause i have never seen one in person.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Black96SVT said:
I like it a lot..

did you ever notice how similar the 04 GT and 04 Cobra look then? Theres what exterior just front fascia, COBRA in rear bumper, which i think its different anyway, and the tail lights i think are a different shade. Oh and wheels

so whats your point? :shrug:

I think there is a much more noticable difference between the 04 cars then then the 06 cars. Look at the back of the 06 cars. they are the EXACT same, just the spoiler. On the 04, you have an integrated tail light, different spoiler, and a different bumper all together. Also on the 04 cobra you had painted mirrors which should be on the 06. Not to mention a lot of other differences. The thing with the 04s I believe is they stayed similer just enough but still gave it a different look. That idea was failed on the GT500.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
I wonder how this poll would turn out with the yellow cobra just shown last week. I'll bet the numbers on this poll would be very different (people calling for change).
I would also bet that the "I don't like it at all" segment would be alot larger than 9.5%...

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
I think there is about the same ammount of difference between the way the shelby looks compared to the Mustang GT, as there was between the 03 Cobra and an 03 GT.

I think its just subjective and not worth debating over. It sounds like the olympics around here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread