GT500 Suspension Parts

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I purchased take-off parts from a 12' GT500 track pack car that was just converted to a Super Snake. In addition to the wheels and tires I also have the brakes, struts, shocks, coils, and sway bars. Was originally planning on buying the FRPP handling package but am now debating just purchasing the springs and using the struts, shocks, and sway bars off of the GT500.

Not easy to find specs on the various parts so I'm concerned the GT500 parts may not be optimal on a GT. Can't see why the struts and shocks wouldn't work but not sure about the sway bars. Don't mind spending the money on the FRPP stuff but don't want to waste money either. So, any opinions or experience using the 500 stuff?

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I actually think you're going to make out pretty well here. There are some things you may want to look at however.

The GT500 weighs a good bit more than the GT, especially on the nose. You may have to compensate in some areas to correct handling imbalances that *might be created.

Specifically, you might want to play with tire sizing a bit. The GT500 does have wider rear tires and the suspension is designed somewhat around that. With the heavier sway bars (especially on the rear) you may end up dialing in a good bit of oversteer in to the car.

Plus sizing the tire in the rear will dial some of that oversteer out.

This is probably only a concern if you plan on tracking the vehicle though. If you're just using the car on the street and maybe a twisty mountain road from time to time, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread