Gumball 3000

'00 R

Huttle Up Guys!

Need some of R experience passed this way!

I'm waiting on approval for my entry into the Gumball 3000. Being mechanically impaired, I need to know what area's of R favorite Supercar I need to have checked out or improved before I put 10,000 miles on my car.

Let me start out with a few questions.

1. Do I need the diff cooler? (Mostly worried about it when the rally goes through the desert)

2. Should I put in a better Clutch?

3. Will the brake pads last?

4. What kind of rubber should I go with? (Have no idea what kind of weather I'll be passing through)

5. Should I get the recalled rear knuckles replaced?

6. Has anyone had any success fixing the gas guage problem? (The fewer pitstops I have to make, the better off I'll be)

Ok, those are the possible problems I am concerned about. Can you think of anything else?

Thanks Guys!

Max

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by '00 R
Huttle Up Guys!

Need some of R experience passed this way!

I'm waiting on approval for my entry into the Gumball 3000. Being mechanically impaired, I need to know what area's of R favorite Supercar I need to have checked out or improved before I put 10,000 miles on my car.

Let me start out with a few questions.

1. Do I need the diff cooler? (Mostly worried about it when the rally goes through the desert)

2. Should I put in a better Clutch?

3. Will the brake pads last?

4. What kind of rubber should I go with? (Have no idea what kind of weather I'll be passing through)

5. Should I get the recalled rear knuckles replaced?

6. Has anyone had any success fixing the gas guage problem? (The fewer pitstops I have to make, the better off I'll be)

Ok, those are the possible problems I am concerned about. Can you think of anything else?

Thanks Guys!

Max
Sounds like fun!!! Wish I could go?!!

1) YES!! You do NOT want to run the car hard without the diff cooler!! - Period! Just ask Joe Johnson what happens if you do this!:( Several of us have the Kenny Brown diff cooler installed. The system runs about $1700.00 plus installation, but works really well.

2) YES!! - A few of us have upgraded to a dual-kevlar racing setup from Apex Motorsports in CA. Kevin can get you the guy's phone number over there.

3) Brake pads?? - hmmm I would at least bring a couple of pairs and have them handy just in case?..

4) I would have at least two sets of tires available.. one set of allweather tires, and one set of aggressive sticky rubber tires.

5) If you have not done the knuckle recall yet? - DO IT NOW! This is a safety hazard which can cause you to lose control of the car, and can therefore have grave consequences! :eek:

6) Gas gauge is an issue on most of our cars, mine included. I have talked to several folks at SVT and other owners, and no one seems to have a solution yet... Just live with it for now, I suppose. That is what I have been doing.

Good luck and have fun!!

'00 R

Thanks for the responses guys.

Only glitch is with the tires, I'll have what I leave New York with, no room for a spare set.

The rally starts April 25th.
there is more information at www.gumball3000.com

I'm still not approved yet, just hoping!

Max

LogiWorld123

Established Member
be great to see a Cobra R win the race :)

but probably a damn truck will win. massive fuel tanks. likely a diesel :D

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt
be great to see a Cobra R win the race :)

but probably a damn truck will win. massive fuel tanks. likely a diesel :D

me! me! me! :D :D :D :D :D :D

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
hey I checked out the website....this sounds like fun!!!! Are you seriously entering??? what is the cost???

TcM-668

At current rates, the entry fee is almost $ 8500.00...

from the Website...

"The entry fee for each vehicle taking part in the 2002 'GUMBALL 3000' rally is £6,000.00 (plus VAT @17.5% for UK residents)

This fee is based upon 2 persons entering per vehicle, and includes staying at the most amazing hotels across America for the 5 nights of the rally. A deluxe double room is provided at all hotels. If individuals wish to have separate rooms, or even upgrade to a higher room standard, the entrant will incur all additional costs.

Dinner is provided each evening, along with breakfast every morning. If entrants wish to have additional persons in a car, an extra £2,500 (plus vat) must be paid per person. "

I might have to plan on this in the future...This sounds like a LOT of fun...and would add a little pedigree to my car ! hehehehe

Good Luck...

Don ...

Users who are viewing this thread