Guys with Z06's and 13's feedback please

2MuchHP

Established Member
Guys,

Not a troll post - I have been a member along time but don’t post a whole lot.

I am looking for some feedback from guys who have driven both cars. I have owned a heavily modified c5 and most recently a 550+ rwhp 03 Cobra. Both great cars but very different.

If you had the option right now, of these 2 cars 2012 Z06 or 2013 GT500 at the same price point, how would you classify the overall experience. The car will be driven 8 months out of the year, light track use and some moderate strip time. As I haven’t had a car in 6 years (due to a job) I could use some opinion and advice from you guys who have them both or have had them both, my major questions are regarding handling, interior, and mod ability. Any opinions or just general observations are appreciated. PM is fine.

Thanks.

notch5.0

Established Member
I've driven a buddy's 2006 C6 Z06 on a number of occasions. It's a base, no option car - lightest C6 Z06 produced.

At just a bit over 3,100 lbs. the car is very tossable, has huge grip, but is a bit punishing in ride and noise in the cockpit, as well as heat intrusion from the tranny tunnel.

From a roll, the 2006 Z06 is almost unmatched from 40 MPH up... it is a rocket up to about 130 - 150 MPH..scary acceleration ...the Z06 generates enormous cornering power and is a serious track car that only a handful of cars can run with.

As far as new 2012/2013 Z06s, I have not driven those, but these are a bit heavier than the 2006 original, due to some added std. equipment, and huge upgrades in wheels/tires. The magnetic suspension upgrade from all reports is a vast improvement in older Z06 ride quality and helps with building driver confidence in testing the car's limits.

A used 2006-2007 Z06 with low miles and proper maint. is a good buy.

I have not driven a 2013 GT500 but from all reports is a monster.

Obvious factor here : A 2013 GT500 can be had for $55K; it has much more useable features, can carry 3+ passengers, has more storage, and a great heritage (Shelby).

Given your description of usage, I'd opt for the GT500. It costs significantly less and gives greater utility.

cobraguy24

Established Member
I own both , the z-06 I have is a 2009 yellow one. It gets very warm inside the cabin , I bought it new last year so that should tell you something. The car is cramped inside as well. It does pull hard , but I think the shelby pulls harder.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I have an 09Z as well and am waiting to get my 13 Shelby. I can't comment on the 13 yet since I don't have it but on the 09 car I have no issues with it.

I've done a few long trips with it, gets great mileage (close to 500 miles on a tank).

The first responder is right on a couple things, namely on the early cars they usually are the fastest and most "raw" of all the Z's. I bought my car new fully loaded since I feel the kind of money I was spending I wanted a little bit more luxury and class in the interior and that's what I got with my car.

Handles great. The Z's are known to be a little tail happy and can happen when you are not ready for it. I changed out my shocks for a set of DRM Bilsteins and they help the car to settle a bit better and keep the ride sorta ok, not as choppy as before.

Can't really say which one to go with. I'm lucky as hell to be able to have both. Go with what you really want either one will be a great buy.

Tony

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i'm waiting on my '13, and bought an '09 z06 new back in 2009. there's something to be said about a lightweight car with that much power. my z-06 is a h/c/i/exhaust car--feels like a missle. not necessarily cheap to mod, but i wanted a cammed, n/a car. you can add a blower to the vette and have 650rwhp. i get concerned about the reliablility of the vette at that power. the only way you can tell if you like the car is to get some seat time, and see which one you like more.

Users who are viewing this thread