Has anyone had to tap bolt #3 on the diff brace install?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Just curious. I was reading the install instructions, and it mentioned something about maybe needing to do so if the bolt doesnt sit correctly. Just want to make sure I have or know everything I should before I install it. Thanks.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
I used the tap, which was included, to clean up the threads before I even attempted to torque down the new bolts. There are a few at the top that you can't really get to.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I didnt have to use the tap on my install. All 5 diff cover bolts went in fine. The 2 large IRS bolts were a bit tight going in, esp. the top one. I had to run it in some till it got tight, then back it out a few times before I could tighten it all the way.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
I definitely recommend using the tap,,,after I took a look at what came out of the first threads I went ahead and tapped them all!!!

DSCN2526.jpg

:eek:
DSCN2528.jpg

DSCN2530.jpg

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
evil1...whoever set your gears up sure did a nice job...that is about as perfect a pattern as you can get...and both coast and pull sides too!

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
evil1...whoever set your gears up sure did a nice job...that is about as perfect a pattern as you can get...and both coast and pull sides too!

Thanks,,,I set up the gears!

DSCN2517.jpg

a94cobra

Established Member
What are you guys looking at on the gears to determine that they were set up correctly and have a perfect pattern?

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
a94cobra said:
What are you guys looking at on the gears to determine that they were set up correctly and have a perfect pattern?

Looking at the dulled wear marks on the teeth, I believe.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I did mine with back of car on ramps, no removal of exhaust and it still only took me less than an hour

if I wasn't suffering from a neck injury it would been even quicker

none of my holes needed to be bottom-tapped....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread