Has anyone used BOOSTane?

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Because the orange deposits build up on the valves, combustion chambers in the heads, tops of pistons and on the O2 sensors. Plugs are not the only thing building up deposits.

It keeps building up over time and is harsh on metals. The whole reason to run it is for detonation resistance. When you stop running it, these deposits that are left behind create "Hot Spots" in the combustion chambers and cause the car to detonate easier and even worse! The exact thing you were trying to avoid in the first place!

So if you start running it, you are kind of locked in to running it or some sort of octane booster after that unless you clean the build up off and start over.

I will take the risk. Besides any motor not perfectly spot on tuned and/or maintained over time (and due to poor fuel quality) will build up and leave carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and valves that can continue to burn causing the same hot spots you discuss above. That causes detonation too without ever using MMT boosters.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I will take the risk. Besides any motor not perfectly spot on tuned and/or maintained over time (and due to poor fuel quality) will build up and leave carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and valves that can continue to burn causing the same hot spots you discuss above. That causes detonation too without ever using MMT boosters.
Not nearly even a 10th of what carbon would build up. How longs do plugs last with Torco? How long do they last on gasoline? It's not even close to compare!

And with these newer cars having wideband O2 sensors, you would be surprised how well they maintain A/F. Even with a tune that isn't "Spot On".

Here's a good read that US Automakers are sharing with China about the uses of MMT in fuel.
http://www.walshcarlines.com/pdf/Impact of MMT on Vehicle Emissions China Review Material - 2.pdf :read:

And remember, these are in small amounts being used. No where near the large quantities used to raise Octane enough to "Race Gas" octane levels.

But if you want to take the chance, be my guest.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Not nearly even a 10th of what carbon would build up. How longs do plugs last with Torco? How long do they last on gasoline? It's not even close to compare!

And with these newer cars having wideband O2 sensors, you would be surprised how well they maintain A/F. Even with a tune that isn't "Spot On".

Here's a good read that US Automakers are sharing with China about the uses of MMT in fuel.
http://www.walshcarlines.com/pdf/Impact of MMT on Vehicle Emissions China Review Material - 2.pdf :read:

And remember, these are in small amounts being used. No where near the large quantities used to raise Octane enough to "Race Gas" octane levels.

But if you want to take the chance, be my guest.

First off the article (which I've read years ago) is 11 years old now and highly political. Read between the lines of whom has the most to gain...

Spark plugs with MMT deposits are not failed. In worse case scenario you can clean them off and they are fine. So to answer your question plugs with Torco can technically last as long as any other spark plug.

Show me proof of direct engine damage or failures caused by MMT alone. Most of any pictures out there show a heavily carbon deposited engine that's had MMT run through it as a band aid after the fact. The engine was on its way out. The orange is just colored on top of the heavy carbon deposits which IS the problem not the MMT. I have had zero problems running products with MMT additives or similar brews for over 10 years on multiple platforms supercharged, turbo, and N/A. And zero blown nor damaged engines.

We can agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
I ran heavy doses of Torco in my Mach 1 for many years with 25+ lbs of boost and never had any issues. Plugs just needed to be changed a little more often.

monbio

Boostane, Torco, Race-gas, they are essentially all the same. they use MMT technology, which is a form of Manganese, a tetraethyllead substitute. Its been around a long time and works well. However they are not street legal. There are other products on the market like Powermist that are more expensive than the MMT products, that are BTEX based(benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, Xylene). they also work okay but BTEX are know carcinogens. There is newer stuff on the market by Lucas, Cleanboost and EFS Combust. All three of the latter have US EPA certification. EFS Combust is SCCA legal. I'm sure one of the products will work for you.

Riptide

Established Member
Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
so i just bought a six pack of boostane and someone who has used this told me there motor was damaged. Naturally now im thinking of just using them as paper weight smh

Last edited:

lpheaven

Established Member
so i just bought a six pack of boostane and someone who has used this told me there motor was damaged. Naturally now im thinking of just using them as paper weight smh

Hey dude - i see your in NJ. Please do not use any octane booster. Go and fill up with 93 BP or Sunoco. If you think you need to raise octane, datalog 1st and actually find out why. Stations start changing to summer blend in the next 2 months. I'm in Monmouth county. The BP and Sunoco stations have 93 gas that is very consistent and I datalog a WOT 3rd or 4th gear pull almost every fillup. If you can't datalog get some race gas http://www.racegas.com/fuelfinder or hit up your local tuner and ask them. I've been told by every tuner I talked to in the tri-state area to never ever use that stuff - ever. The 93 is damn good in most NJ countys. Just my 2 cents. If you want, call any speedshop you want and ask them if they recommend this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread