heads up to those with Kenwood HU and Maestro panel

scott_0

Established Member
those of you that have the Kenwood head units that have the OBDII readings and climate control built in with the idatalink Maestro dash panel, this is a heads up to you. I wanted to do some data logging since I installed long tubes, well I was pulling my hair out because the tuner wouldnt communicate with the car to enable datalogging, I had a suspicion it was the OBDII connections for the Maestro causing a conflict, but I called SCT any ways, soon as I told him my suspicions, he said absolutely 100% thats the issue. So I went ahead and cut the two OBDII input wires I had spliced in for the Maestro, I was able to log again with no issues. So, my fix for this is I attatched a bullet style quick connector on each wire and Im now able to quickly disconnect the wires to enable logging. Hopefully this help you avoid the headache I dealt with lol

TheDivaDanielle

Established Member
or what you could have simply done was disable the OBD-II communication on the Headunit. It would have done that too.

There is a specific setting in the headunit for exactly this. But your solution always works too!

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
No kidding? wow I had no idea! I plan on getting the kenwood setup, so thats good to know! Thanks for the heads up!

scott_0

Established Member
or what you could have simply done was disable the OBD-II communication on the Headunit. It would have done that too.

There is a specific setting in the headunit for exactly this. But your solution always works too!
lol I had no idea, thanks!!

No kidding? wow I had no idea! I plan on getting the kenwood setup, so thats good to know! Thanks for the heads up!
yes sir, thats why we're all here

scott_0

Established Member
ok, another update, I tried what TheDivaDanielle posted, meaning I left Maestro OBDII connection hooked up, I then went in and disabled OBDII communication in the headunit, hooked up my SCT and...........no dice, still wouldnt communicate, so thats not a good option, I had to disconnect the headunit OBDII connections all together

jojobee

Established Member
Would be interesting to see if the new Alpine models will interfere the same way with OBDII.
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a setup like this.

scott_0

Established Member
Would be interesting to see if the new Alpine models will interfere the same way with OBDII.
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a setup like this.
it almost 100% will, the SCT tech I spoke with today said anything that taps into the OBDII (and sometimes other accessories will too) will cause this issue, but its easily remedied

Vegas5OH

Established Member
there is a setting on the head unit that automatically detects if you plug in a tuner and turns of OBDII communications so you never have to touch it.

scott_0

Established Member
there is a setting on the head unit that automatically detects if you plug in a tuner and turns of OBDII communications so you never have to touch it.

yeah it's auto disable, tried that and still doesn't allow communication of sct

12V Guy

Established Member

In the SETTINGS MENU in the gauges screen, you can go to OBDII Communication. In the latest software (live on web now) there are several options:

1. Auto Disable - Will stop communicating when we detect another scan tool device. This is default setting. Many other devices also have this feature, like your SCT Data logger. In this case, whichever of us detects the other one first will stop communicating. Sounds like the SCT detected the Maestro and stopped.

2. Always Enabled - Will force Maestro module to communicate even if another device is present. This works if the Maestro module detects the other device first. Would not work in your case as SCT detected us and shut off. If you use this setting you should DISABLE before going in for service for obvious reasons.

3. Disabled - Turns off Maestro module communication - This can be done for service or to temporarily use other devices, such as you SCT data logger.

4. Enabled On Demand (*NEW*) - This one will only start the OBDII communication when you are using the gauges screen. This is good if you need to keep the other device connected and it won't work with Maestro connected. Also useful if the Vehicle Health Report feature of Sync is used. The report will fail to run with Maestro (or any other device) communicating as a scan tool when Sync wants to run the report.

SIDE EFFECTS of using this setting - Fuel economy will only be able to collect data when you are in the gauges screen so your average economy will not reflect all your driving. The Check Engine Alert will not work as we will not look for the CEL all the time. However, if your CEL goes on and you go into the Vehicle Info screen, we will then check the status and make the button available to you to read the codes, reset them.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Thanks much for the detailed explanation of each option. I really wish the menu selection had a simple graphic that showed if the option was enabled or not, like a bold font, color change, *, whatever. You shouldn't have to guess when looking at the GUI if the selection is enabled.

12V Guy

Established Member
I'm not sure why that would be. When you select Disabled, we don't communicate on the OBDII lines at all. The physical connection is no issue, there are more than 20 nodes on that network. It really makes no sense that Disable does not allow the SCT to work. When you selected Disabled, did you get a popup confirming the action and you chose OK?

Thanks,

12V Guy

Last edited:

12V Guy

Established Member
Thanks much for the detailed explanation of each option. I really wish the menu selection had a simple graphic that showed if the option was enabled or not, like a bold font, color change, *, whatever. You shouldn't have to guess when looking at the GUI if the selection is enabled.

I will look into modifying this.

Cheers,

12V Guy

Users who are viewing this thread