Heart transplant ideas for a 66?

wallywagon

Established Member
Hey guys, my best bud is in the process of planning a build with the center piece being a Gen I 66' Mustang and being as such I thought I would solicit you all for opinions and advice on the powertrain. His budget is around 10K so please don't throw out any ridiculous ideas. His goal I believe is to have around 650-700 HP (maybe with a used procharger or my old Eaton if we could shoehorn it at all) in the end. He is not an avid drag-racer/circuit driver, but who is to say that he won't give it a shot when he has a car that can compete?!

Anyway, for reference I know he was looking into a used coyote motor from one of the 5 liter guys but found that the engine bay fabrication required for a comfortable fit would be a financial burden in the long run. Do any have you know anyone that has gone through this situation and come out on top? I would love to hear all your suggestions and FWIW he has a 4 barrel 302 as it sits. What short block should he start with if going from scratch? Should he stroke/bore/build out his existing 302? Should he consider a different motor all together? Thanks so much for all of your opinions!

Chris

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
If he "only" has 10K for the build, stick with a Carb motor. Hell, 10K may barely cover getting a '66 into good driving condition, let alone make 650-700hp!

wallywagon

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! He only has 10 K for the motor.....the car is in fantastic condition...just needs some juice! He was thinking of some sort of stroker motor and adding a procharger.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
My advice would be to build a solid running 351-393-408, with some good rods / pistons, ARP main studs, rod bolts, and head studs. Spend a little extra and get some MLS head gaskets, and shoot for right around 9.5:1 -10:1 compression. Some AFR 185s for a 351w, or 205's for a 393-408 would be great, or some TFS heads. Get something like a Victor Jr intake, or EFI whichever way you prefer, and a custom hydraulic roller cam by one of the big names out there.

650-700 HP in a car that small is no joke. He can drive it with the motor above without problems, and see how he feels about 500hp or so. If that's not enough, he can always throw on a blower or nitrous later.

Wildman113

Established Member
Mod motor is too wide for a 66 mustang unless you remove your shock towers.

My friend has a '69 Mach 1 with the 428, somehow it fits in there, but just barely. Its so close to the shock towers that it practically touches.

Is a mod motor really wider than a 428 big block?

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
Toyota 2JZ-GTE.

The Aristo motors are the vvti version and can be had with V-161 6-speed for $2500 or less and good for 400+rwhp.

Now with all that said, feel free to let the hate commence.

lol

Last edited:

Wildman113

Established Member
Toyota 2JZ-GTE.

The Aristo motors are the vvti version and can be had with V-161 6-speed for $2500 or less and good for 400+rwhp.

Now with all that said, feel free to let the hate commence.

lol

Worst idea I've ever seen anyone post in a thread like this.

Think about what you just said, and then realize how stupid it was.

I don't see anywhere that the OP said "I'm looking to bastardize my car with a toyota engine and make it a worthless pile of crap that sounds like a lawnmower".

Last edited:

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
He asked for ideas, I offered. He could also make 600rwhp with his budget on that motor, so it fit what he asked.

Wildman, take your meds, you're getting worked up again.

To OP, sorry for the minor derailment, let us know what the final choice is and remember to take pics of the progress! :cheers:

cj428mach

Established Member
My friend has a '69 Mach 1 with the 428, somehow it fits in there, but just barely. Its so close to the shock towers that it practically touches.

Is a mod motor really wider than a 428 big block?

Yes the mod motor is a lot bigger than a FE/390/428. The Boss 429 is closer in size to the Mod Motor, and it wouldn't fit in the 69-70 engine bay without moving the shock towers. The 65-66 engine bay is smaller than the 67-70 stang engine bays. The FE's wont fit in 65-66 engine bays without some work being done. If it was my car probably cheapest/easiest way to try to get to that power level would be hack it all up and carb 460, or Terminator swap.

If it was my car I'd just build a nice EFI pushrod 5.0. If he plans to drive it much at all he'll thank me for it.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
OK here's something a little different for you, I always thought that it would be cool to have one of those old SOHC 427 engines in an early mustang. That would be very cost prohibitive but, you could make a new version out of a 4.6. 10K would give you enough for a stroker kit and some decent, aftermarket (custom?) machined valve covers, you might even find a late model fuel injection that you could put under an old school car type air cleaner. I'll try to find some pics.....

what we need.....

800px-Ford_427_SOHC_Thunderbird1_zps873f5fd7.jpg

what we have........

fordsohcimages_zps87460ca8.jpg

or maybe.................

forddownload_zps6f0a843d.jpg

Something along those lines anyway

Users who are viewing this thread