*HELP* Changed the plugs and installed a CAI but now the truck won't run....?

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
I've got an 03 with 35k-miles. Decided to do the basic tune up and install a JLT-CAI while I had it apart. Everything went fine, plugs in and it's all back together truck ran fine. I put the CAI on and now the truck won't run.

I tried turning the MAF around a couple different angles and still same results.

The truck cranks up and starts but then immediately dies as it tries to idle. I've tried about everything I can think but figured I would ask for ideas?

I think it's something with the CAI but can't figure out what. I removed the inlet tube from the throttle body and started the truck just fine. It started, idles and revs just like normal.....BUT....when I reattach the CAI tube the truck won't run.

:dw:

Any ideas....?

Could it be something else with the MAF that I don't know about?

Thanks,

Josh

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
did you check the 3 hoses on the bottom of the 90 on your intake

Checked all three and they are installed and appear okay...

i bet you forgot to put PCV hose back on... check that

Checked them and they look okay...

Sounds like the line that runs to the IAC. Make sure they arent being pinch any where.

I was concerned about that because on the factory box it plugs in before the MAF. On the JLT CAI it plugs in between the MAF and the throttle body. I though this was what caused it but tried it both ways in/out and it made no difference...

what did you gap the plugs at??? that could also give you an issue.

TR6's gaped at .038!

I don't understand why the truck starts up and runs fine with no intake at all (open throttle body) but with it installed it won't even idle...?

I'll go swap the factory hoses back on and see what it does before I put the OEM airbox back on....

Last edited:

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Wow, so I'm a duma$$! :nonono:

It's been a while since I've done something just completely idiotic so I guess I was due for a brain fart. Some how during the install, I reversed the MAF. :idea:

Turned it around and everything works great. I hope no one else did this during the install... :bash:

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
i almost shat myself after installing all my mods went to start the truck, it wouldnt idle and just died.........after an hour or so i realized that i didnt put the hoses back on the bottom of the intake! doh!

glad all is well now.

Users who are viewing this thread