Help please? In the middle of quadrant install

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Ok, I installed the firewall adjuster and quadrant, have everything rigged up, but when I press the clutch pedal I hear horrible squeeking, like kids swinging on a friggin swing set. I have messed with the adjuster and no avail, still making the horrible squeeking from the tranny. Don't really want to start it up and carry on with the wretched noise. Any help please? Thanks.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Did the cable slip out of the fork in the transmission? You would have to jack it up and remove the inspection plate to check.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Don't know, I guess I wish check. I thought that if it had the clutch would not engage?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Under the car is fine. But when I push the clutch in, I get a creak coming from the quadrant, cable, adjuster area. I doubt the setup is supposed to creak, anybody have any suggestions as to what would cause this creak? I just drove it and it operates fine, I just am not digging this noise. THanks.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
wuplash said:
did you shim the quadrant with washers???

um yeah, what he said :)

shim as necessary to center the cable as it passes through the firewall adjuster

nylon washers work well to keep things quiet

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Yeah I shimmed them to center it... still making a creaking noise... driving me nuts!

TRBO VNM

did you screw the adjuster into the firewall. I had a screw come loose on mine and it was making that noise. tightened it back up and it went away. how many screws did you use? some have one, which can allow flex in the firewall and could possibly cause issues to.

Is the cable in the groove on the quadrant? if it is riding the edge of it and then slips into the groove that could cause the niose as well.

Silver 03 Cobra

If you are using Steeda's adjustable cable you will have problems down the road. It aint fit to put on a weaker V6 clutch which is about what it's made for. Do a search on here and especially on ModularFords.com and see how many have been shredded. Put your stock cable back on with your new quad/adjuster and it will be fine. I'm assumng the sqeeling noise is the cable. There is no reason your new stuff should cause the TOB/clutch to make any noise.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I checked it out again with the suggestions. I was only able to secure it with one screw (I know, ghetto) but my friggin fingers can't get the stinking screw in the hole. I even had the wife get it in there but could not screw it in. Any suggestions on a remedy? Anyhow the clutch cable isn't riding the quadrant's side, so it must be my single screw use. Thanks all.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
maybe have someone watch the firewall from the engine compartment to see if it is noticeably flexing??

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Thanks for the help, I fixed it. The had it centered on the top shaft with the washers but had no washers on the bottom, so every time I pushed it in the quadrant would shift a little on it's axis. Thanks for helping my newb ass out! Only complaint about the assembly is the bottom screw is a PITA to get it because the adjuster is too long to pull in and out due to the driver side head. Thanks again.

TRBO VNM

03yllwguy said:
Thanks for the help, I fixed it. The had it centered on the top shaft with the washers but had no washers on the bottom, so every time I pushed it in the quadrant would shift a little on it's axis. Thanks for helping my newb ass out! Only complaint about the assembly is the bottom screw is a PITA to get it because the adjuster is too long to pull in and out due to the driver side head. Thanks again.

trick for that is to remove the spark plug coil cover, unscrew the adjuster all the way and have a long phillips head screwdriver to get underneath. I also use an extendable magnet I hold the screw in-place with until I get it started. glad you got it fixed.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Now that is invaluable advice, I'll try it. I used the magnet also to hold the screw but didn't think of removing the cover. Thanks.

mosconiac

Established Member
I have the same squeak. I remembered an old suggestion to spray the cable and quadrant groove with white lithium grease. I have a good feeling that will help my problem. Remember, that cable (probably dry) is sliding in a clean aluminum groove, so a noise or two should be expected...especially if alignment isn't perfect.

mosconiac

Established Member
I tried the lithium grease and it didn't help. I wasn't able to get much into the cable sheath itself, but I coated the exposed cable to transfer some onto the quadrant.

Users who are viewing this thread