help with F303 cam!!

CrazyPerson

Established Member
i just put in F303 cam in my mustang 5.0 and i didnt get the timing specs on it...

someone told me to time it at 35 degrees advanced...can someone let me know where to time this cam at please????

F303 cam TIMING HELP!

red95gts

Established Member
I think you have cam timing and ignition timing mixed up. The 35 degrees you were told would be your total (max) ignition timing. It's equivalent to about 19 degrees initial timing on a standard A9L computer and slightly more on a 93 Cobra computer.

But, that being said, you need to try different ignition timing settings to see how the car responds. 35 total may or may not be optimal.

Good Luck

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
that cam is gonna sound AWESOME!!
I had one in my 95 gt along time ago.,., it loved the blower and nos (when blower was broken.,,.powerdyne)

my cam I believe was installed stock

CrazyPerson

Established Member
so 19 on the crank and how does the distributor work then with the mix? i thought just put the crank on 10 then line up the rotor with #1 cylinder..im confused now.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
so 19 on the crank and how does the distributor work then with the mix? i thought just put the crank on 10 then line up the rotor with #1 cylinder..im confused now.

cam, crank, distributor are all part of timing.

From the beginning, you should have installed the timing set (gears and chain) dot to dot. Camshaft dot at 6 o'clock, crankshaft dot at 12 o'clock.

After vibration dampner is installed, rotate the crankshaft until the timing pointer is at the 'top' 10 degree mark on it.

Drop dizzy in to where the rotor button points to the #1 plug wire on the cap.

Halfway tighten the dizzy hold down and crank up the car. Pull spout connector out and check timing with a light to verify you are in the 10-13 degree range. Quite possible that the car will respond well with this set up to 16 degrees. You have to test and see. After timing is set retighten dizzy hold down, plug spout connector back in, and go for a test drive.

FoxSnk

Established Member
Spout out locks timing out of advancing. Whether you have iron or aluminum heads will determine how much advance you can lock in. Cant get much more than 12-14 initial with iron heads, and I run 18 initial with aluminums.

Users who are viewing this thread