Hesitation on accel? F-150 TSBs?

Coiled03

Established Member
So I recently bought a 2007 5.4L F150, and I've noticed that sometimes on medium/hard acceleration it hesitates pretty substantially, to the point that I can see it drop a good 250rpm on the tach.

I've researched this a bit, and from I've found it's not an uncommon issue. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if there's a TSB, or recall of any kind for this issue? If it's so common, I'd expect there to be one, but I can't find any. Also, does anyone have a remedy?

TIA.

EDIT: On another note, anyone have a suggestion for a good site for F-150s, ala SVTP.

Last edited:

steve121

Established Member
I have a 2005 F150 (purchased new) with the 5.4 that had the same problem. I think it's a symptom of the "throttle by wire" system. I installed an Edge programmer and that cured the problem.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
I have a 2005 F150 (purchased new) with the 5.4 that had the same problem. I think it's a symptom of the "throttle by wire" system. I installed an Edge programmer and that cured the problem.

had the same problem on my 07...superchips tuner solved it... I spoke with my dealer numerous times... They claimed they did a recal...it seemed to help a little. its almost dangerous.

NLRFord

Established Member
I've heard a few people having problems with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Others have needed a tune to get the feel they were looking for.

F150online is a great forum.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member

+1 night & day in the difference:beer:

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
The throttle hesitation is caused by the fly by wire. Ford has a flash out for it now, although it doesnt cure it 100% it is much better. Ford wont tell you this but a majority of the name brand hand held tuners do cure it 100%. Find yourself a dealer that carries Xcal's. If you buy it from them they wont void the warranty when you install it.

Coiled03

Established Member
The throttle hesitation is caused by the fly by wire. Ford has a flash out for it now, although it doesnt cure it 100% it is much better. Ford wont tell you this but a majority of the name brand hand held tuners do cure it 100%. Find yourself a dealer that carries Xcal's. If you buy it from them they wont void the warranty when you install it.

So, how do I get this "flash" you speak of? Do I just go ask for it? I'm not gonna buy a tuner just to get rid of this. It's not that big of a deal to me. Some improvement would be nice, though.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
So, how do I get this "flash" you speak of? Do I just go ask for it? I'm not gonna buy a tuner just to get rid of this. It's not that big of a deal to me. Some improvement would be nice, though.

Go to the dealer and tell them your aware of the new flash for your truck and you'd like to have it performed. They will run your truck and check to see if its been completed. If it hasn't then they will do it. If im right i believe there's a TSB on hesitation, I cant log into Oasis at the moment and check.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
i want that tsb posted, so i can take it with me to show then when they try to play stupid with me. somone anyone????????? please post it if you can get to the oasis!!

Coiled03

Established Member
i want that tsb posted, so i can take it with me to show then when they try to play stupid with me. somone anyone????????? please post it if you can get to the oasis!!

That's what I'm sayin'! If I could get a .pdf of that thing, I'd be at the dealer this afternoon.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
It was a TSB. I had mine done with a reflash. It came back though. I am going to try a programmer one of these days.

So far I have learned to live it.

cheesegt

584 SS
Established Member
i have some sort of problem with my 04 f150 5.4 it seems to somewhat have this problem im cruising and it drop rpms and doesnt seem to move until a few seconds later it picks up acceleration. and also it idles out when its at a complete stop.

Users who are viewing this thread