Hood latch update

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
To those interested in my little hood latch dealie- Well, the new one is on.
Took the car to the dealer to have the hood latch looked at. They looked at it. Seems that's about all they are good at. Some lady hands me my keys and a receipt and points me to my car. I had to read on the sheet that the current latch is indeed damaged and a new latch is "on order". On order? How the hell much trouble is it to keep a couple of hood latches in stock at a dealer that takes up the better part of 2 football fields(they have their own full service body shop on premises)? So, I get the call the part is in and make the appt. Go back a week later to have the new latch put on. I also tell them to listen out for an engine tick. They put the new latch on. Listened for the tick. The same lady as last week hands me my keys and a receipt and points me to my car. The sheet says they didn't hear a tick. No charge for the latch.
Hood latch-still as crappy and flaky as the original, but I see the whole piece that retains the secondary latch handle and it is full held in place. It won't budge. Still feels like it's gonna fall off in my hand, but the hood stays locked down.
Tick-goes back on Monday. They're gonna listen again this time outside the shop.
Experience with Bill Talley Ford service department- less than zero. I get calls wanting me to give my opinions on my experience. But the dumbasses keep calling when I'm at work. Rest assured it won't be a good appraisal.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You really need to find another shop to go to. They might be good if you blow your engine doing something you shouldn't because they are obviously clueless.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
My hood would not latch if I just pushed the hood shut when I first got mine, there is two rubber stoppers on each side that can be adjusted, I lowered them and the hood shuts just fine, I could see the latch was getting hammered by drop shutting the hood, maybe this was your problem in the first place, my .02...I never drop shut my hood, just close it and pop the hood down to the latch with my hand, gently!

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr
My hood would not latch if I just pushed the hood shut when I first got mine, there is two rubber stoppers on each side that can be adjusted, I lowered them and the hood shuts just fine, I could see the latch was getting hammered by drop shutting the hood, maybe this was your problem in the first place, my .02...I never drop shut my hood, just close it and pop the hood down to the latch with my hand, gently!

I've worried about this. I hate to just drop my hood from a foot or so, but that's what I've had to do to get it to latch. I tried just pressing it 'til it would latch, but no luck. I'll have to try adjusting mine, as well. I didn't think it was getting far enough to be hitting the rubber bumpers, but I'll take another look...

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
I tried just pressing it 'til it would latch, but no luck
Don't press too hard near the edge. Mustang hoods are notorious for getting spider cracks near the leading edge of the hood...

ZXnVS

Established Member
I went out last night and adjusted the stops down, but no luck. I got to the point where the stops were almost bottomed out, and I still can't latch it without dropping the hood from a fair height.

On my previous car the latch itself could be adjusted up or down slightly, so I tried that here, but no dice. The hood latch is fixed in place (it wiggles maybe 1/32" just from slop, but that's it).

I noticed that the service manual (I'm using an '02 since the '03 isn't out yet) doesn't even mention the hood latch anywhere. They have a whole section called "Handles, Locks, Latches and Mechanisms" which conspicuously ignores the hood latch.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr

You're probably right. I should stop dropping it since it was a short 18" or so drop that broke it the last time.

Users who are viewing this thread