Hood mod checklist for the weekend

NCStanger

Established Member
Ok, think I'm gonna tackle this project this weekend. Last minute check on parts/supplies needed. Does this all sound ok:

1. Grab a couple new razor blades (case cutters) from where I work to cut out the holes in blanket.

2. Called local boat store and they stay open until 9 pm tonite and do sell the flex trim. Grab some of this, right?

3. Paint. I have a white 03 and want to make the letters white also, and black for the rest right? So I can just pop into Auto Zone at any point and get black and white high heat paint, correct? This will be safe for under hood heat and not create problems I assume? Which brank is good for this purpose? I was thinking of getting spray paint and doing it this way if possible.

4. May need a stapler for the sealing up of the blanket if it seperates too much when I cut it out.

5. Last thing, do the flaps under the openings just pop off and back on if you want to put them back, or do you have to physically bend them out of the way and break them off if you want them totally off? I heard somebody say to bend them back up under the hood blanket. Is this best?

Once done, if done correctly, I should expect better cooling of my engine compartent/engine as well as less soiling of the blanket itself since water should then drain right through to the ground, correct?

I know there are threads on this and have read them, but so many use different supplies, just want to make sure my plan seems like it will do the job with relative ease.

Thanks people and have a great weekend.

Adam

Last edited:

musclesBMF

Established Member
The flaps are connected on the back side of the vent and snapped to the front. Un snap the front and just bend it back under the hood blanket. Very simple to do and they won't break.
As for additional cooling, it's negligible at best....no real difference.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Wow I wish I had thought of the stapler part. Sealing the fraid edges was a pain. I would like to know of the plastic flap as well. Mine is still on. I think some have just folded it back under the blanket. I might just cut the flap off entirely this weekend.

Your location is about 20 min. from me. I don't see many 03's in smalltown Sanford. Maybe 2 since I got my car in April.

mosconiac

Established Member
I like my way..throw the blanket in the trash and lay a little velcro on the flaps so I can have them held open or snapped shut (yeah, that's gonna happen).

Here's a shot of mine (BTW the water spots underhood came from the gap at the leading edge of the hood, not the open flaps).

mosconiac

Established Member
I like my way..throw the blanket in the trash and lay a little velcro on the flaps so I can have them held open or snapped shut (yeah, that's gonna happen).

Here's a shot of mine (BTW the water spots underhood came from the gap at the leading edge of the hood, not the open flaps).

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Or...you can just be rid of those pesky vents all together!:-D
fb2ceece.jpg

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
NCStanger,

Cut carefully and you won't have a problem. The Flex Trim seals the edges well. Start your trim in the center not the corner if you want it to meet better for a cleaner appearance. You need something to cleanly cut the Flex Trim. The painting was the difficult part for me. It sucks up a lot of paint and I'm not enough of an artist so the letters were a pain. I ended up using a small roller on them and then touching up the letter edges by hand. Go slow and good luck!

Cobra Tone,
The air filter is in a box over by the front of the fender not on top of the engine. The water mainly drops between the engine and radiator onto the ground.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
Doesn't rain or water from washing it get into your air filter if the vents are completely off?

Excellent question...answer...I don't drive it in the rain and I am careful when I wash with water...which is'nt very often.

McGuires Quick Detail is what I use 90% of the time.:thumbsup:
Excellent product for removing minor dust and road film safely.

BTW...my vent delete mod moves hot air like a blow dryer...noticable difference IMO.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
I have painted the letters on three Cobras and the horse on one GT. They have turned out fantastic. The trick is to use a top quality angle brush for cutting in the edges. Because the hood liner is made of a material, material paint is best. Can be purchased at Michael's or other craft stores. Buy the best. It will typicaly take two to three coats to cover the gray/black material. If you want the hood liner to be water resistent, spray it down with a material waterproofing spray like that used for camping equipment, or Scotchguard. I use two coats on the liners I do. I apply extra to the edge where the opening for the louver is. Do the waterproofing after you have done the letters or the paint will not adhere. Take your time. Let each coat of waterproofing dry before applying the next coat. The water beads up on the material after this treatment. Keeps the hood liner looking brand new. I think recoating the wterproofing in 8-12 months would keep it sharp.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
You can spray paint the hood liner matte or flat black. I am getting ready to do one for a guy. If I remember right, new ones are about $70.00.

Users who are viewing this thread