Hosed by a dealership

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
I don't believe that I was "making them lose money on the car"...
I am confident that there was still a profit margin for the dealership at the price point THEY had offered...

I did not twist anyones arm in regards to our mutually agreed upon
"out the door" price.....

Even though I consider myself a "savvy" buyer the GM of this dealership handles similar transactions every day of the week...

Scott

What was the actual price of the car (before tax title and license)? Above or below invoice?

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
This link will save you thousands of dollars:

CarBuyingTips.com new car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying

That doesn't include taxes, dealer prep fees (which you don't have to pay. Also, when negotiating a price, make sure you get the price OUT THE DOOR. If not, you are paying literally thousands of dollars in taxes as well.

As a former salesman and finance manager I cringe every time I see this advice. You're paying the tax no matter what. Literally. Unless the dealership is committing tax fraud you're paying the thousands whether or not you deal on straight car price or "out the door."

Tax title and license are non negotiable, by including them in your negotiations all you are doing is making it more difficult to see exactly what you're actually paying for the car without getting out your calculator. You can, and should, know almost exactly what ttl is on the car you're buying before you set foot in the door. For that reason including them in negotiations is pointless and confusing to many people.

S

snakeplisskin93

As a former salesman and finance manager I cringe every time I see this advice. You're paying the tax no matter what. Literally. Unless the dealership is committing tax fraud you're paying the thousands whether or not you deal on straight car price or "out the door."

Tax title and license are non negotiable, by including them in your negotiations all you are doing is making it more difficult to see exactly what you're actually paying for the car without getting out your calculator. You can, and should, know almost exactly what ttl is on the car you're buying before you set foot in the door. For that reason including them in negotiations is pointless and confusing to many people.

Would you or anyone else care to elaborate on exactly what the title, license part of that means in real dollars? The tax part is obvious, state sales tax, but is the rest more dealer mumbo jumbo?

91 trunk

Established Member

99SVTcobraVERT

Marc, I can't believe I actually took the time to read all that crap. You really are a horrible negotiator huh? You actually have to play games with a dealer to get a "good deal". Jeez man.... I have never read so much paranoia in my life. Using your drivers license for credit reports without permission, phone speakers listening in, etc. Yes there are fly by night sales people but there are also 5,10,20,50+ year vet's that have been at the same dealers with the same clients. They remember your name, send you cards in the mail, call you to check on the car etc. These folks are professionals and deserve to be treated as such.

Get a clue... research online with BBB, dealerrater.com, etc and find a large corp held auto group with a good reputation. Then go online, research the vehicle's fair value (new or used) as well as your trade if you have one. Go in with a positive attitude, list of features you want, a price and payment in your mind you want, ask for their senior sales associate and enjoy being waited on. Don't put a price on your integrity by playing games and lying to a dealer. Afterall... if you do all those things aren't you just as bad as the dealers you hate?

Users who are viewing this thread