Hot Rod Article about K&N FIPK?

Matt M PA

Established Member
A friend told me today that a recent Hot Rod (is what he said) did a story on a stock Cobra...added the K&N FIPK, and dynoed the car before and after. He says they got something like 30HP difference.

I'd like to see that story...anyone hear this? 30HP for under $200...that's a deal.

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
I got over 21Hp adding just the steeda cai, so I would be suprised to see another 10 hp from k&n.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
I gained 56 rwhp with just the K&N cai, Xpipe & cat-backs, preditor sport tune. (356 to 412)
The CAI was the first of these mods that I installed and it made a very noticeable SOTP improvement. It could easily have accounted for about half of the gain (28)....these ponies really need to breathe. :beer:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I have the K&N kit and it's hard to tell how much of a gain it made. My ass-o-meter isn't that finely tuned, but the gain was noticeable.

The throttle response is much quicker and the boost comes on stronger and more abruptly. With the stock airbox, the application of boost was very linear. Now with the K&N FIPK, the boost comes on like a quick kick in the pants that the ass-o-meter can definitely feel. I've seen other dyno tests that register the K&N between 20 and 25 hp. Seems like a helluva lot for just an intake.

Gotta love that sound though. :bowdown:

bossvt

Established Member
I've got a K+N FIPK sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. It was delivered with a dyno sheet claiming it adds close to 30hp.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
MM&FF did a shoot out of all the filters and that was one. They only obtained 19.8rwhp on stock car and 25.6rwhp on a modded car. If you want me to post all the filters and hp gains let me know I have the data here. Put it on a card. Or do a search it was posted before.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
It was a short article in Hot Rod mag, they gained 26hp but I am at work or I would post their dyno #'s. I will post them later when I get home.:thumbsup:

vipergts281

Established Member
You can't go wrong with eiter CAI. I was at a dyno day yesterday and two other 03 Cobras besieds myself got dyno'd. All three of us only had a cat-back and CAI for our mods. Here are the results.....

Me- Steeda CAI with Magnaflow CB.....Max rwhp 419

Silver Vert- Flowmaster CB with BBK CAI......Max rwhp 411

SB 03- K&N FIPK and Borla Stingers.......Max rwhp 415

All numbers are SAE and I think they are pretty good. Not bad for just two mods.

Users who are viewing this thread