How much Abuse can our Rearends take

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
This is for my future reference. How much abuse can these rearends take? Should people that plan on having S/C or Nitrous just plan on replacing there rearend right away.

budguy1967

Established Member
I have been told that the stock rears are very poor with much performance enhancements. The Differential and axles need to be replaced once you go with gears and sticky tires. Add a SC on top of this and the problem only gets worse.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I had the carrier bearings go bad on my stock 8.8 they were making a heck of a racket after 79K miles. I thought the noise was my gears so I had just made up my mind to replace everything in it. Not bad for the way it was driven.

My car is a weekend and track car and gets driven the way God intended it to be driven- HARD. (the previous owner drove it hard too) So thought that I should replace with stonger parts while I was in there, especially since I planned on getting some ET Streets

I went with an Eaton LSD, and superior axles (31 splines) these guys have a helluva deal for the set. http://www.drivetraindirect.com/ 549 for the LSD and Axles.

Alex

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
I had the carrier bearings go bad on my stock 8.8 they were making a heck of a racket after 79K miles. I thought the noise was my gears so I had just made up my mind to replace everything in it. Not bad for the way it was driven.

My car is a weekend and track car and gets driven the way God intended it to be driven- HARD. (the previous owner drove it hard too) So thought that I should replace with stonger parts while I was in there, especially since I planned on getting some ET Streets

I went with an Eaton LSD, and superior axles (31 splines) these guys have a helluva deal for the set. http://www.drivetraindirect.com/ 549 for the LSD and Axles.

Alex

How much did everything run u.

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
$549 + tax for the Eaton 31 spline Limited Slip Differential and Superior 31 spline axles (no shipping costs as I live about 15 miles from them) I had a local hook up with a Ford Service tech and got the install for cheap:D. I was going to throw 4.30's in (had them in hand) but neither of us had experience with the thicker ring gear the 4.30 gear has and werent aware that you were supposed to notch them. So I reused my old 4.10 gears. I get even black marks on the pavememnt when I want and I have no fear of 5K launched on ET Streets. Well except for the weak t-45.:bash:

A

budguy1967

Established Member
I get even black marks on the pavememnt when I want and I have no fear of 5K launched on ET Streets. Well except for the weak t-45.:bash:

A

I know what you mean about the T-45. After I put an exhaust on, I am going to replace it with a TKO before I change the gears.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
$549 + tax for the Eaton 31 spline Limited Slip Differential and Superior 31 spline axles (no shipping costs as I live about 15 miles from them) I had a local hook up with a Ford Service tech and got the install for cheap:D. I was going to throw 4.30's in (had them in hand) but neither of us had experience with the thicker ring gear the 4.30 gear has and werent aware that you were supposed to notch them. So I reused my old 4.10 gears. I get even black marks on the pavememnt when I want and I have no fear of 5K launched on ET Streets. Well except for the weak t-45.:bash:

A

So what are u running now."Not afraid of a 5K launch" :uh oh: :beer:

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
Here come the excuses- its been hot as hell this summer, and first time on these tires. The first (and only)time I took the car to the track with the MT ET Streets I ran 13.5-13.6 -3 runs. not great but man it was hot as hell. I was geting 1.87-1.91 60 foot times. Times should come down some when the wether gets cooler and I relearn the launch.

Alex

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Yup, the stocker will hold up for a while, but with a heavy season or two of launches and some sticky tires...pop goes the axle. :)

31 Splines are the order of the day.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Here is what a "built" 8.8 can take day in and day out. I have a Locker and Superior 31 spline and Superior bearing cap in this car.

I edited two runs down to show how you have to baby the little T-45 trans on launch and on the 1-2 shift in these cars. Even I am surprised I've not had any trans problem in 4 years of running the car.

http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen1011.mpg

The shocks are too loose on these two runs. Will try one click stiffer next time.

I had some computer edge connector problems and we had rain and 20 mph head winds, so times were not good--11.5 at 121 but the launches were interesting. I nearly killed it on the first pass launching at 6k so I didn't include it. Only made 3 passes before the rain started.

Even a bad night is fun, LOL.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by monkeyspunk79
Yup, the stocker will hold up for a while, but with a heavy season or two of launches and some sticky tires...pop goes the axle. :)

31 Splines are the order of the day.
that is the only way to go, just do it now and have no problems down the road

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I have been running stock axles but with a Auburn Posi and 3.73s for 3 years now without a single problem. My friends 88 hatch which we ran every weekend for 4 months with drag springs, uppers and lowers, and 26x10 slicks launching at 5500 with a 150 shot and stock axles with 3.73s never made a peep and still hasn't had a single problem out of it. Maybe we were lucky, but there are several fast stangs around here I know of with stock axles and upgraded gears that have been dragged for years w/out incident. Last I checked they were around $250-$300 a set.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
and the stock T-5 is still in great shape, but we also use a "stock" clutch in it, we would rather replace clutches than rebuild the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread