How much play should your pinion gear have?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Today I put my car on the lift and was messing with my h-pipe, i think that it is hittin the transmission crossmember, but that is beside the point. I noticed that my driveshaft had some play in it. Meaning I was able to turn it back a forth about 1/2" - 5/8" from stop to stop. I just had 3.73's installed, and I was wondering if this is normal, or should I have any play at all. Someone help me with the answer to this please. Thanks

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
Today I put my car on the lift and was messing with my h-pipe, i think that it is hittin the transmission crossmember, but that is beside the point. I noticed that my driveshaft had some play in it. Meaning I was able to turn it back a forth about 1/2" - 5/8" from stop to stop. I just had 3.73's installed, and I was wondering if this is normal, or should I have any play at all. Someone help me with the answer to this please. Thanks

When I had my gears installed, the mechanics thought there was something wrong with my rear end because the axle could move 1/2" - 1". They called up another shop and they said it was normal for my year Cobra (97).

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Re: Re: How much play should your pinion gear have?

Originally posted by hantzis
When I had my gears installed, the mechanics thought there was something wrong with my rear end because the axle could move 1/2" - 1". They called up another shop and they said it was normal for my year Cobra (97).

Awsome, but the shop says that it is normal, but how does your gut feel? If you trust your shop then that is what I will go with, because the verdict is still out on mine.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
after i had my 4:10's put in i also noticed the same thing, i think that is where some of my vibration is coming from, cause I can feel it when it when i am driving i dont think that they should have so much play in them, in my 92 it has no play in the driveline, and its smooth, i think mine is fudged up personally

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Man this sucks. We need someone who really knows rear-ends to clear this up. I went from feeling confident in my gears back to being freaken scared that I am going to get out one day and they are going to fgo boom.

johndt351

Established Member
I did the 4.10's on my 98. I had checked the clearances, and everything fell right in the middle of the tolerance bands(perfect if you will) I had .0085. .007-.010 is the tolerance. gera pattern meshed up nicely, and I had a mechanic(a real one, not a parts swapper from a dealership) to make sure I didn't F' anything up. He claimed it was a solid gear swap, and sholud have no problems at all, and I have that kind of play in my drive shaft. But I had it before with the 3.27's. I have a touch of vibration at highway speeds, but alot of factory specs get changed when the gears are swaped. pinoin depth, balance, and even the angle(to a very minute extent)
If you have a bad vibration, try indexing your driveshaft. The person who installed your gears may not have marked the driveshaft when they pulled it from the pinion, which causes an imbalance between the two pieces(the round plate that the d/s bolts to. had a long day and can't think of it's name)

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by johndt351
I did the 4.10's on my 98. I had checked the clearances, and everything fell right in the middle of the tolerance bands(perfect if you will) I had .0085. .007-.010 is the tolerance. gera pattern meshed up nicely, and I had a mechanic(a real one, not a parts swapper from a dealership) to make sure I didn't F' anything up. He claimed it was a solid gear swap, and sholud have no problems at all, and I have that kind of play in my drive shaft. But I had it before with the 3.27's. I have a touch of vibration at highway speeds, but alot of factory specs get changed when the gears are swaped. pinoin depth, balance, and even the angle(to a very minute extent)
If you have a bad vibration, try indexing your driveshaft. The person who installed your gears may not have marked the driveshaft when they pulled it from the pinion, which causes an imbalance between the two pieces(the round plate that the d/s bolts to. had a long day and can't think of it's name)

i put an aluminum driveshaft on mine, took the major vibration away, but what I can feel now I know it is my rearend, cause I can feel the gears when I turn at low speeds, plus when you turn the wheels up in the air, it will spin fast then slow, like its to far apart in one spot then to close in another, when I get the money I think I am going to put in some 4:56's and have a shop where the guy works on Mustangs only do it for me

hantzis

Established Member
Hissman, the mechanics at the shop reubuilt my rear end because of the movement. Then after, they noticed is still moved around. That is when they called another shop and were told the movement was normal. So, I think it is a pretty safe bet that this is normal.

Dean

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
hantzis, Thanks man. I think I am going to go with you on this. It is better to have a positive outlook than a negative one. thanks for your help,

Hissman

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Actually for a 8.8 locking diff the specs are .008" to .013". There is no spec on amount of play at the driveshaft, it is measured at the teeth of the ring gear while holding the pinion stationary. As for gear noise... with 4.10 you will normally get more noise because of the steeper gear ratio (cost of performance). You have to take play in the driveshaft as adding up axle to sidegear play plus sidee gear to pinion play plus backlash, some play is normal and required.

Last edited:

johndt351

Established Member
Originally posted by BIGGESTJOHNSON
Actually for a 8.8 locking diff the specs are .008" to .013". There is no spec on amount of play at the driveshaft, it is measured at the teeth of the ring gear while holding the pinion stationary. As for gear noise... with 4.10 you will normally get more noise because of the steeper gear ratio (cost of performance). You have to take play in the driveshaft as adding up axle to sidegear play plus sidee gear to pinion play plus backlash, some play is normal and required.

chknhwk

Back to the top...

I pulled this out because this is the best I could find on rear end noise.
My '98 Cobra (I believe) was a true garage kept queen who did not beat on it. (He traded it in on a new GT convertible. :loser: )
Slow turns I hear clunks coming out of the rear - is this normal? 52k on the clock and it runs like a raped ape (for stock anyways - still needs wires).
What's some opinions on this? It has a tendency to step WAY out on fast right handers - I've already parked it in one tire wall at Summit Point. :mj: :gt: Would this, could this be related??

93CobraPwr

SVT Veteran
Established Member
If you have clunks then you have excessive backlash, if you have a severe whining, then you have to much run out....

if you dont have a good pattern, your pinion is probaly wrong. i am to understand all things being equal they shouldnt make more noise if installed correctly. I did my own, and have worked through everything, and now believe this to be true, its all in the install ;)

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Originally posted by 93CobraPwr
If you have clunks then you have excessive backlash, if you have a severe whining, then you have to much run out....

if you dont have a good pattern, your pinion is probaly wrong. i am to understand all things being equal they shouldnt make more noise if installed correctly. I did my own, and have worked through everything, and now believe this to be true, its all in the install ;)

Actually you are incorrect, the clunks on turns is normal for a limited slip diff. If it is excessive then maybe someone forgot the friction modifier. you are adding alot of stuff that is not true and may confuse people. They car "steps out" because the limited slip is working and the car tends to spin he tires ALOT

Users who are viewing this thread