How to get my spedo right again

NotSoTame

Established Member
my car has 3.73 gears and my millege and speed is off, i think its about 5-6 miles over at 60 mph, like it says im going 65 when im doing 60 , does anyone know what all i have to do to fix this, i know there is a gear, but i have heard that there is a few things u have to do, right now i beleave the small gear that is on the end of the cable is red, thats about all i know any help would be great i hate seeing the miles rack up so fast, also when i got the car there was a gear that was about one inch across by maybe 1/2 inch think with very slanted grooves on the out side, i think this may be thr 2nd spedo gear but i have no idea, its yellow

thanx for any help ~Bill R~

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
The cheap way: 23-tooth speedo gear
The spendy way: Abbott ERA

It's said that over time the plastic speedo gears will wear out, but they're only like $17.00 I believe. Mine is still fine.

NotSoTame

Established Member
how much is the spendy way? wich one is easyer? what gear is it, the one on the end of the cable or one thats inside the tranny and is gona be a bitch to get at?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Boy it's been a while... I wanna say the last time I priced the ERA it was like $99-$119-ish... which isn't a a fortune, but compared to the cheap speedo gear. The ERA is more accurate. The speedo gear brings it within like 1mph I believe, not completely perfect, but it works for the price!
And I think it was the gear where the cable meets the trans, not a real pain to do.

NotSoTame

Established Member
thanx ill have to try the gear idea b/4 i bring the car out this spring, i dont have to pull the tranny do i, i have done it but it is kinda a pain, one other thing when are you gona come goin mmm, its pretty fun bullshiting with all the guys at the meetings in the winter, and i could always use some more ford back up, the meetings are at john haley motorsports now, we got a couch and the whole worcks, perfect place for a car club meeting, should stop by the next time, visators are encoureged, are u going to wow this weekend? well get back to me im

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
No you don't habve to yank the tranny, it's just the lil plastic gear on the side of it.

I've been on the MMM boards (under the tag "NAUGHTY"). I'm debating of it's worth joining or not. How often are these meetings? What nights? How many people show up? Only person I'd know is Casey, does he go?

What's "wow"?
-Tim-

NotSoTame

Established Member
meetings are once a month, first sat of the month i beleave, id say there is anywhere from 10-20 at most meetings, seems like there is more coming now that its at jhm

NotSoTame

Established Member
I was told this weekend by soemone who I think is very smart when it comes to cars, anyways he told me that since mid 90's jeep cherokee's has t5 trannys i could go to any jeep dealer and get a 23 tooth gear and it would get me pretty close, but he was saying like 3 mph off and its only like 5 or 6 off, i think, but it would be a very fast fix to at least slow it down a little, anyone ever heard of this b/4?

Users who are viewing this thread