How to properly install a TPS on an 03 Cobra?

Mariob01gt

Established Member
I helped a buddy the other day install a new pulley and a new tb onto his cobra. The TB required that we take the old TPS sensor off the stock TB and install it on the new one. It even came with instructions so we can set the TPS under .99 volts when at idle. I figured it's no big deal, how hard can it be. WRONG.

We can not get a reading on the TPS. Initially we installed the TPS just by putting it on. I hooked my multimeter to the correct wires and got a reading of .40 volts. I figured that was a piece of cake. Fired the car up and went for a drive only to discover the SES light turn on immediatly.

We figured out that when we installed the TPS it needs some tension on the sensor where the shaft of the TB goes into. The way we installed it originaly, the tb shaft was not even turning the TPS sensor. So fine, no big deal. I removed the TPS, clocked it pointing down and turned it counterclockwise to give it some tension and bolted it in place. I figured the down orientation and then turning it was the only way it would work. But this time, our idle voltage was 3.36volts and WOT it got to 4.9 volts and then died off to 0.0 volts. The idle voltage was too high as our rpms would not go under 2K rpms.

We were not able to figure out what the trick is to installing the damn TPS so when it's orientated properly it'll be in the 1volt area at idea.

any idea's?

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
I'm "the friend". Is there even an issue with the IAC not getting a reading? It idles at @1000 in start and stop taffic and @750 at start up. Other than the SES light is there a reason to fuss with it? I never use cruise control.

Thanks again for your help mario:thumbsup:

Mariob01gt

Established Member
Matt

The IAC is not the problem and ummmm it has nothing to do with your cruise control. The cruise control is controlled by a seperate motor that has a line coming out of it and attachs to the tb where the gas pedal line is. What the IAC motor does is control your idle when your TB is closed. There's a little plunger that goes up and down in an opening of the TB and allows air to bypass the closed butterflies. Essentially it just controls your idle so your car will stay running and won't sputter and die.

As far the TPS. I think we were on the right track. It's just figuring out exactly on how to install it so the sensor can get preloaded with the correct amount of tension so it can read the .99volts or below at idle and somewhere bettween 4v to 5v at WOT.

Hopefully someone has already done it before here and has some advice for us.

ALA G8R

Banned
Shanker,
I can't believe that you are still screwing with that TB. What guidance has the vendor given to correct this issue.

When I did my TB install, the TPS voltage was dead on before I removed the stock TB and after I installed the single blade TB. It can be tweeked slightly by adjusting the throttle stop screw.

It's really none of my business but I can't believe that you are willing to live with a 1000 rpm idle and an SES light!

I'll shut up now.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
This is actually the first chance i'v gotten to look at it since the install. I really only have one day a week for this kind of stuff. I think we just put the TPS on incorrectly. We either get too much tention or none at all. Did you just place it on with the plug end pointing towards the drivers seat? Or is ther a specific way to twist it on to get the proper tenion.

The chip, pulley, exhaust, and shifter went without a hitch and this one should've been the easiest I would think.

Mario and I really arent this stupid but we are learning as we go.:read:

ALA G8R

Banned
I don't have it in front of me, so I will try to recall from memory. The TPS should engage the TB at an angle slightly counter-clockwise from its mounted position. Once engaged, rotate the TPS clockwise to line up the mounting holes.

Lomancobra

Established Member
When the KB went on with the billetflow TB my TPS sensor and IAC were both busted. Experienced similar issues when trying to set the voltage, and SES light. Get a new TPS and see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread