how wide of a tire

Fosters

Established Member
HotRodK said:
Agreed. I wish they had a Nitto DR in a 335/35 or 30 for the 10.5s. They would fit a little better.
But the 10.5" ROCK! :rockon:

yep :) that's how mine look... don't even get a flat footprint... what pressure do you run at the track? and how long do you heat them up?

Red03Mach

Established Member
Dont run the 275s up front, i had the 275s out back and they had a bulge. I dont know how good that would be for steering. I now have a 255 up front and a 265 out back they both fit great.

Fosters

Established Member
1wickedmach said:
Dont run the 275s up front, i had the 275s out back and they had a bulge. I dont know how good that would be for steering. I now have a 255 up front and a 265 out back they both fit great.

on stock wheels? I run a 275 up front but on a 9" rim, and there's no bulge

DeVus32V

Seriously
Established Member
"Looks fine" Cuz that's what choosing a tire is all about. :rollseyes

Seriously, call one of the tire manufacturer's and tell them what size tire you plan on putting on an 8" wheel and see that they tell you. Its recommended for a reason. Its not a "get rich quick" conspiracy thought up by cooperate America to sell more aftermarket wheels to the public.

Fosters

Established Member
DeVus32V said:
"Looks fine" Cuz that's what choosing a tire is all about. :rollseyes

Seriously, call one of the tire manufacturer's and tell them what size tire you plan on putting on an 8" wheel and see that they tell you. Its recommended for a reason. Its not a "get rich quick" conspiracy thought up by cooperate America to sell more aftermarket wheels to the public.

nitto recommends up to 12.0 inch rim on their 315s. there's no freaking way these will even fit on a 12" rim. none, nada. Ford also recommends 5w20 oil for their cars... i'd have to be crazy to run that in 120+ weather here in arizona in the summer... I'm sure they also don't recommend upping boost on cobras, and whatnot... point is, if you don't push the envelope, you don't have any pioneers in anything, no one would ever learn new stuff and step out of the boundaries set by manufacturers...

DeVus32V

Seriously
Established Member
Fosters said:
nitto recommends up to 12.0 inch rim on their 315s. there's no freaking way these will even fit on a 12" rim. none, nada. Ford also recommends 5w20 oil for their cars... i'd have to be crazy to run that in 120+ weather here in arizona in the summer... I'm sure they also don't recommend upping boost on cobras, and whatnot... point is, if you don't push the envelope, you don't have any pioneers in anything, no one would ever learn new stuff and step out of the boundaries set by manufacturers...

Its just too hard for me to argue with this type of logic.

EZMachN

Established Member
I run 275x35x18 on all 4
attachment.php

Fosters

Established Member
DeVus32V said:
Its just too hard for me to argue with this type of logic.

call nitto, ask them what tire they suggest for a 17x12" rim, it'll be the same 315s i have. buy a nitto 315 and take it to a shop to put it on a 12" rim. if the tire shop claims it's safe to drive on em, you win. i can guarantee that won't be the case though.

manufacturers do make mistakes. if they didn't all of their products would be perfect. there is no such thing.

it's too hard for your closed-box way of thinking to realize that though.

DeVus32V

Seriously
Established Member
Fosters said:
it's too hard for your closed-box way of thinking to realize that though.

My "closed-box" way of thinking? Lol, that's rich. It has everything to do with the fact that I have several close friends that have worked in the wheel industry for many years, some of whom grew up in it. Selling wheels, designing wheels, manufacturing wheels. But I'm sure their knowledge/experience means nothing.

Ciao!

Fosters

Established Member
DeVus32V said:
My "closed-box" way of thinking? Lol, that's rich. It has everything to do with the fact that I have several close friends that have worked in the wheel industry for many years, some of whom grew up in it. Selling wheels, designing wheels, manufacturing wheels. But I'm sure their knowledge/experience means nothing.

Ciao!

i have a friend of a friend who has a boyfriend who's cousin worked for this guy that had a hookup on tires and wheels and this dude said that you're wrong.

You talk out of your friends' experience. I talk out of my own experience. I own a pair of nitto 315s and a pair of 10.5" rims, and they definately could use a half inch smaller rim.

DeVus32V

Seriously
Established Member
Fosters said:
i have a friend of a friend who has a boyfriend who's cousin worked for this guy that had a hookup on tires and wheels and this dude said that you're wrong.

LMAO. Gee, how did I know you were going to make some adolescent comment like that?!?!
fruit.gif

Whatever, I guess we'll agree to disagree.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
That picture I posted is my 315/35 on a 10.5" wheel. Do you REALLY think that would fit on a wheel 1 1/2" wider? Im not even sure you could get it to stay on the wheel.
I dont usually take sides, but I think Fosters is right here. :beer:

DeVus32V

Seriously
Established Member
HotRodK said:
That picture I posted is my 315/35 on a 10.5" wheel. Do you REALLY think that would fit on a wheel 1 1/2" wider? Im not even sure you could get it to stay on the wheel.
I dont usually take sides, but I think Fosters is right here. :beer:

Read the posts again. My comments were made in reference to the 275 tire and 8" stock wheel combination.

:beer:

Fosters

Established Member
DeVus32V said:
Read the posts again. My comments were made in reference to the 275 tire and 8" stock wheel combination.

in the same way nitto recommends a 9"-9.5" rim for a 275 nitto tire, they recommend a 10.5"-12" for a 315 tire. BFGs recommending a 9-9.5" rim for a 275 are more than right. nitto are not. my point is, manufacturers aren't always right with their recommendations. and in Nitto's case, "Looks fine" is more accurate than Nitto's recommendations.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
DeVus32V said:

Yeah, those will physically fit, but your going to wear the centers of the tires out really quick. I promise. If you lower the pressure enough to wear better, they will not handle properly. :shrug: :beer:

Fosters

Established Member
HotRodK said:
Yeah, those will physically fit, but your going to wear the centers of the tires out really quick. I promise. If you lower the pressure enough to wear better, they will not handle properly. :shrug: :beer:

a soft sidewall "drag" radial is not really meant for handling anyway. at lower pressure it will soften the sidewall a bit making it more prone to wrinkling, and thus better for drag. If you want handling, you don't get a drag radial tire, especially not a nitto :)

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
I didnt mean performance handling, I mean tracking down the road with ruts in it correctly. A poor handling vehicle is a bad situation.
IMO just buy the right size tire for the wheel. :beer:

Fosters

Established Member
HotRodK said:
IMO just buy the right size tire for the wheel. :beer:

that's the whole point i'm trying to argue... the right tire size for the wheel isn't very accurate when the tire size isn't accurate :) so you can't get by the traditional, "put a 245 on an 8" rim, a 275 on a 9" and a 315 on a 10.5-12" rim" belief :)

Users who are viewing this thread