Humming Sound From Rear of Car?

BuddhaSVT

Established Member
My situation:
97 vortech supercharged cobra, 37k miles

CEL is on, I will flash the code ASAP. Car will be garaged until its diagnosed.

Sound: electric humming sound from center/rear of car. I thought it was an exhaust leak until I listened closer. It's definitely an electrical hum like sound.
Fuel pressure "seems" strong and staying at a consistent 40-42 at idle and rises smoothly with throttle. Drives like normal

Could this be a dieing fuel pump? Thanks in advance

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I've heard that on my car when it was stock and on all GM trucks, they say it has to do with power steering... but why the hell it's in the back is confusing to me:??:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
How long has the supercharger been on the car??

If you have an inline fuel pump I'm betting you just haven't noticed the sound before.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Booyah

If you have an inline fuel pump I'm betting you just haven't noticed the sound before.
I'm going with Booyah on this one. Fuel pump dude.

BuddhaSVT

Established Member

I bought the car with the supercharger on it but to the best of my knowledge it has been on there for at least 4 years.

And no i never noticed the sound before. Do you have any idea what it could possibly be?

My buddy has an OBD2 sensor, I'll pull the code soon.

thanks everyone! You confirmed my suspicions. Time to look for a new fuel pump :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by snakeiz
I bought the car with the supercharger on it but to the best of my knowledge it has been on there for at least 4 years.

And no i never noticed the sound before. Do you have any idea what it could possibly be?

My buddy has an OBD2 sensor, I'll pull the code soon.

thanks everyone! You confirmed my suspicions. Time to look for a new fuel pump :)

You don't need a new fuel pump. That's what inline fuel pumps sound like, they are very loud. This is why people look to get an upgraded intank fuel pump so they don't have to listen to the buzz. Generally if a fuel pump is going to die it gives no indication at all, it just doesn't work anymore. Fuel pumps are usually a 100% go or no.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
It's the fuel pump, now leave it alone and enjoy the whine. :-D ..or is that the supercharger?:loser:

Seriously, when you stop hearing the hum of the fuel pump is when you need to start worrying.

BuddhaSVT

Established Member
You don't need a new fuel pump. That's what inline fuel pumps sound like, they are very loud. This is why people look to get an upgraded intank fuel pump so they don't have to listen to the buzz. Generally if a fuel pump is going to die it gives no indication at all, it just doesn't work anymore. Fuel pumps are usually a 100% go or no.

i know what my fuel pump usually sounds like and this is not normal. thanks anyways

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by snakeiz
i know what my fuel pump usually sounds like and this is not normal. thanks anyways

Oh that's right, I was just throwing nonsense out there and really have no idea or experience to backup what I'm pretty sure it is. Have you even seen your fuel pump? Do you even know if it's an inline fuel pump? It's in the rear-center of the car, hmmmm what else could it be I wonder. :bored:

BuddhaSVT

Established Member
I wasn't questioning your knowledge, in fact you have been very helpful. I was simply saying that I've been driving the car long enough to know that, whether a fuel pump or not, the sound is not normal. Again, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread