I need to sell a car and keep one or buy a gt350

Puluke

Established Member
Hi

I have a 2014 Zl1 MT and a 2014 Mustang 5.0 GT premium MT. Just retired and want to either keep one of these or sell both and purchase a GT350. The cost of maintaining, storing and insuring two vehicles is costly for a blue collar retire. My DD is a 2015 Chev Siverado 1500. Deep down I'm a mustang fan. The car fits me perfectly. I'm short and the ZL1 is uncomfortable to peddle. From what I have read the GT350 is lacking low end torque. I would miss that if I sell the ZL1 BTW, all I want is a boulevard cruiser.Thoughts please. Not a track guy and have to store the car for 6 months in winter.

Thanks

Last edited:

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
Your insurance bill isn't going to go down unless you sell both to buy the GT350. I don't put a lot of stock into what the paper spec jockeys say about any car, but Tob is a straight shooter and has one!

Pete

liter of cola

Established Member
I say wait till the gt500 comes out, then sell both and buy that. the gt350 is a road coarse car. it shines when you really push it around some corners. if your not the type to hit some canyon roads or go to the track I think you'd be better off and have more fun with a car that has bigger power and torque than the 350.

or if you want something "new" now... sell both cars and buy a 5.8 gt500 that's the ultimate blvd cruiser.

Last edited:

CO Mack

Established Member
While I think it's a great "boulevard cruiser", it's not if what you're after is that low end torque lunge. It's a stiff, high RPM sports car wrapped in an updated Mustang body. It's amazing, but it's not a GT500.

If you get a 2016, get a Tech Pack.

IM3CPO

Established Member
I was a little concerned about the lack of torque too, but its honestly not an issue now that I have the car and have driven it for a couple weeks. I had a 2012 GT500 as well as a 2013 GT500, and loved the power they had. Is it a GT500? No.... But it seriously drives awesome and the car really pulls from 3K all the way to redline. Getting the car in the 3K zone is also not hard whatsoever; the gearing is set up pretty good and you are either naturally already driving there or are only a shift away. There really are no drivability issues whatsoever. I dont miss the GT500's I previously owned one bit. Am I interested in the new one coming out? Absolutely! But it remains to be seen whether they can keep the balance in tact while still hitting their mark on straight line performance.

krt22

Established Member
I was a little concerned about the lack of torque too, but its honestly not an issue now that I have the car and have driven it for a couple weeks. I had a 2012 GT500 as well as a 2013 GT500, and loved the power they had. Is it a GT500? No.... But it seriously drives awesome and the car really pulls from 3K all the way to redline. Getting the car in the 3K zone is also not hard whatsoever; the gearing is set up pretty good and you are either naturally already driving there or are only a shift away. There really are no drivability issues whatsoever. I dont miss the GT500's I previously owned one bit. Am I interested in the new one coming out? Absolutely! But it remains to be seen whether they can keep the balance in tact while still hitting their mark on straight line performance.
This. Once you are above 3k it pulls very hard, so you are only below 3k for a second or two in first gear, then its all smiles. 700hp is largely useless on the street, even a blvd cruiser. MIght as well listen to a fantastic motor sing while you lap the block and stunt.

Puluke

Established Member
Well, thanks for jumping in folks. So far I've got a punt the GT at minimum which would mean keep the Zl1, get a gt350 with the track pack and another for the tech pack. Yes I'm aware cooling is an issue on the track. Not a track boy. I do like the electronics. It will also be a street car. Guys are saying this car is "that good". My test drive was very short and subdued with respect to the buyer, hence my personal experience with the gt350 is very limited. Further opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:

liter of cola

Established Member
Well, thanks for jumping in folks. So far I've got a punt the GT at minimum which would mean keep the Zl1, get a gt350 with the track pack and another for the tech pack. Yes I'm aware cooling is an issue on the track. Not a track boy. I do like the electronics. It will also be a street car. Guys are saying this car is "that good". My test drive was very short and subdued with respect to the buyer, hence my personal experience with the gt350 is very limited. Further opinions are appreciated.

If you get a 17' 350 it comes standard with everything from the track pack and you can add electronics package on top of that. That would give you all the perks of the electronic pack 16's plus you get to keep your recaros and the track pack. or if you wanna get rid of the recaros as well as add everything from the electronics pack you can get what they call convenience package.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Retired and living on fixed income? It's time to be smarter with your money. Ditch the 5.0 and keep the ZL1. You'll have the bottom end torque you like and can still perform admirably in the twisties. If you must have something new, ditch them both for the new ZL1. If you're not going for the GT350R, it would be crazy not to consider the new ZL1, especially considering you already have one! Imagine your car now with even more power and significantly better handling and less weight.

Think about it. Do you really want to play these dealer pricing games with the GT350, only to come out of a dealership with your pockets rabbit-eared? Or would you rather be able to just walk into a dealership, get the car you want without all the purchasing drama and still have a [more than likely] significantly better performing car than the GT350?

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Retired and living on fixed income? It's time to be smarter with your money. Ditch the 5.0 and keep the ZL1. You'll have the bottom end torque you like and can still perform admirably in the twisties. If you must have something new, ditch them both for the new ZL1. If you're not going for the GT350R, it would be crazy not to consider the new ZL1, especially considering you already have one! Imagine your car now with even more power and significantly better handling and less weight.

Think about it. Do you really want to play these dealer pricing games with the GT350, only to come out of a dealership with your pockets rabbit-eared? Or would you rather be able to just walk into a dealership, get the car you want without all the purchasing drama and still have a [more than likely] significantly better performing car than the GT350?
He already said his ZL1 is uncomfortable to peddle, the new ZL1 will be more of the same. On top of that, sounds like the GT350 performs and is actually fun to drive to boot.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
He already said his ZL1 is uncomfortable to peddle, the new ZL1 will be more of the same. On top of that, sounds like the GT350 performs and is actually fun to drive to boot.

The new ZL1 comes with an automatic versus the GT350 only comes in manual.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
The new ZL1 comes with an automatic versus the GT350 only comes in manual.
He said he was tired of peddling the ZL1, probably due to seating height/arrangement. His Mustang is a MT and he didn't seem to indicate any complaints about that.

Puluke

Established Member
Hey guys, sorry I'm a little late getting back to you all. Regarding being uncomfortable peddling the Zl1, I should have been more specific and said it is the position of your foot on the gas pedal. A good friend has a 1le, is my height and has the same issue. I'm a manual guy and do not want an automatic. The Zl1 really is a complete performance car with track and electronics options included in the total build. The Boston acoustics is garbage. Does the car perform? Most defiantly. Does the gt350 fit me better? U-Bet it does. I've got my GT listed but no bites. I really want to keep them both! The Mustang is iconic and started the muscle car revolution. I love it's history. It is a joy to wheel it on the streets. Indeed the smartest option presented is to keep the Zl1, but how do ignore the gt350? Their is no dealer mark up on a gt350 in my city and they are not flying off the shelf with our economy in the toilet. BTW we Canadians are paying close to 80G after tax. Not a cheap car.
Thx guys

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread