Idle problems

01SnakeBlk

Established Member
My 01 Cobra idles at around 1k. It will sit there, and then kind of surge and drop to 800 or so and bounce back up. Is this normal???? I just got the car like 3 days ago, it only has 8k miles on it.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Nope defineately not normal. Take it in to the dealer and see what they say? The car will idle a LITTLE higher on start up when its cold for bout 10 to 15 seconds. then drop down a bit.

Mike

Understang

Slightly Mad
Established Member
Doesn't sound normal. Mine idles at around 700 when it's warmed up. Your's should still have warranty left on it - take it to the dealer and have them check it out. It could be a bad idle control (bypass) valve.

Taz

Established Member
Normal warm idle should be around 680 RPM. Sounds like you've got some unmetered air entering the intake. Probably either where the air tube connects to the MAF meter or where it connects to the throttle body.

T-

:coolman:

JBejarano

Established Member
just like the others say, if your car is at normal operating temperature, that does not sound normal....however if your car is cold, then it sounds perfectly normal. Mine (99) does the same on a cold startup, idles at about 1000, sometimes 1100, for a bit more than 15 seconds,then after a little it will idle normal. Like someone else here said, take it to the dealer and let them check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread