I'm a KB 2.8 owner...:)

MYGT500

Established Member
My order for the KB stage 3 is in..should have it by next weekend..can't imagine how awsome this car will be.. should be in the 10 sec et range with traction..

chuckstang

Established Member
Awsome!!!
Looks like there will be plenty of early adopters to test the water for the rest of us :)
The kit looks real complete and an easy install to boot!

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I don't ever spend more than I can afford and right now the KB would put me over the limit. I don't believe in credit card debt. Spend what you've got or don't spend at all. Right now I don't have 10K for a KB kit and built shortbock. Because if I had the KB it'd be 16psi on the street and maximum psi on the track.

Last edited:

Alphahunter

Automotive Connoisseur
Established Member
I cant wait to see it! Congrats!
Good read!
Kenne Bell swaps superchargers on a Shelby GT500 and pushes past 800 horsepower
If there is anything the 2007 Shelby GT500 is lacking, it certainly is not power. The GT500 is a little (okay, a lot!) on the heavy side at around 4000 pounds, and the suspension might struggle to keep up with the rest of the car, but at 500 engine horsepower and 480 lb-ft torque the Shelby rarely receives complaints about a lack of power. At least you would think so. For those that think 500 horsepower is just a starting point, Kenne Bell has the answer. The supercharger experts based in Rancho Cucamonga, CA have focused their forced induction expertise on Ford?s current flagship model and have come up with some pretty impressive results.

Fortunately, the GT500 was ready-made for a Kenne Bell kit. Since the car comes from the factory with an Eaton R122 roots-type supercharger, a water-to-air intercooler is already in place along with a high-capacity radiator. The engine is also reinforced with unique connecting rods and forged pistons to handle the extra power.

So what makes the Kenne Bell supercharger so much better than the Eaton? The secret is not necessarily making more power, but preventing power loss. "If we've learned one thing in our 16 years of Ford twin screw kit design, it is to keep inlet system losses to a minimum. Supercharger size, efficiency and even boost are secondary if the inlet system is undersized and cannot supply sufficient air flow to the supercharger," says Ken Christley, Kenne Bell's head technical guru. The Kenne Bell system uses a 75mm dual inlet manifold that flows more air than the stock 60mm manifold. The increased efficiency of the Kenne Bell kit compared to the stock Eaton R122 blower can be seen in the dyno numbers. Using the same exact 3-inch pulley, custom tune, and stock inlet system, the Kenne Bell system makes 606 rwhp compared to 481 rwhp with the Eaton system.

Depending on how the car will be driven, the Kenne Bell system can be set anywhere from a mild setup for street use to a competition-only setup using racing fuel. The Stage 1 kit includes just the basics: Kenne Bell's dual Boost-A-Pump electronic fuel booster, custom tuning using an SCT XCalibrator flash device, and the stock intake system. Depending on pulley size (3-1/2 to 2-1/2), the Stage 2 kit will produce anywhere from 540 to 664 rwhp. The Stage 2 kit adds the Kenne Bell Big Oval air filter and Kenne Bell MAF that adds another 60 horsepower with the stock 3-inch pulley, and can provide up to 727 horsepower on race gas with the 2-1/2-inch pulley. Finally, the Stage 3 kit adds the Kenne Bell Big Oval inlet tube as well as a Kenne Bell dual 75mm throttle body and ranges from 627 to 801 horsepower at the rear wheels. Using pump gas only with the 3-inch pulley, the Kenne Bell system provides enough boost for the engine to pump out 692 rwhp, 248 more than stock. Switching between a street and track setup is as easy as a 4-minute pulley change and changing tunes. Upgrading from the various stages is nearly as easy, with just a few parts to bolt in place. Shelby owners will also be happy to hear that the kit fits under the stock hood, negating the need to buy an expensive aftermarket hood.

While the kit doesn't require any external changes, anyone upgrading their Shelby would be wise to opt for beefier suspension components and a stickier set of tires. When running tests at the track, the car had trouble hooking up all the way through third gear. A sturdy driveshaft is also a must - two separate driveshafts were completely obliterated while tuning the car on the dyno. With a proper suspension setup, a good set of drag radials, and a stronger driveshaft, a Kenne Bell-equipped GT500 has the potential of quarter miles in the nine second range. Not bad for a 4000 pound Mustang that you can drive home from the track!

Users who are viewing this thread