Information on Hellion Turbo Kit

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Just read the article in MM&FF. It was alright, nothing we really didn’t know already I guess. There was a second dyno graph shown that said it was a 6sp manual at 6psi also and made 640rwhp/748rwtq(numbers may be a little off)…I find this extremely hard to believe for 6psi.

acrbill

Established Member
that article really made the kit more interesting IMO. Instead of punching the oil pan you just route a hose up to the valve cover. The fact that you have to use a scavenge pump is not totally ideal but its less of a deal breaker because of the innovative way they route the drain.

LTNBOLT

Blown Member
Established Member
Just read the article in MM&FF. It was alright, nothing we really didn’t know already I guess. There was a second dyno graph shown that said it was a 6sp manual at 6psi also and made 640rwhp/748rwtq(numbers may be a little off)…I find this extremely hard to believe for 6psi.

What I'm calling Bull$hit on is the fact that they say the 6sp manual made 88 more HP than the auto at the same boost level because it was a manual.:dw: There is no way that is correct when in stock form the auto and manual dyno within 10HP +/- of each other. They say the second dyno sheet was done on a different dyno. In the article it says the auto with the turbo kit that is featured was dynoed on a Superflow dyno even though the dyno sheet says Dynojet at the top. Go figure.

552 rwhp with this kit sounds about right though.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Yeah for sure, there were a lot of inconsistancies so it was hard to compare data. Also, auto do dyno quite a bit lower with FI. Some of the 03/04 cobra guys that swap to an auto and change nothing else drop about 80-100rwhp.

LTNBOLT

Blown Member
Established Member
Some of the 03/04 cobra guys that swap to an auto and change nothing else drop about 80-100rwhp.

Yeah but they were probably running the old trannys (C4/C6) which are not as efficient as the newer trannys. Back in the day when those trannys came in cars there was a big difference between manual and auto ET's. The manual was always at least a half second or faster than the auto. I'm showing my age now.

Another factor on the auto tranny swap in the Cobra is they probably would not be running a lockup converter which will show lower HP numbers too.

We already know their is not much difference in loss between the auto and manual in these cars. Putting more power through the drivetrain would not change the percentages. With the percentages being the same the auto (about an 11% loss) and the manual (about a 9% loss) the difference with an extra 200 HP going through it would amount to around another 6 +/- HP loss difference between the auto and manual. So at the 550 rwhp level it would be a 16 HP +/- difference between the auto and manual instead of the 10 HP +/- difference at stock HP. Definitely not 88 HP as that article would have you believe. There is at least 70 HP lost in translation. Probably the difference is in the dynos and the tuning even though it was the same tuner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread