Innovators West super duty harmonic balancer?

BigBart33

Established Member
Any of you using the IW-811/963SD? Not sure if any disadvantages to picking this over the non super duty version. 03-04 Cobra Harmonic Balancer w/Metco Adapter #811/963 - Innovators West

Says it includes a new timing chain seal. Gasket? Not sure how that changes how thick the harmonic balancer hub can be. I don’t make 750whp and probably never will, but I already ordered it lol so just want to make sure I’m not screwing up. Even considering just returning it and using a new OE balancer.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
You will need to replace the timing cover gasket, with the one it comes with. That can be a pain. You need to get the old one out without scratching / marring the timing cover, and press the new one in, which can be tricky. I ended up buying a otc tool so that I could press the seal in the cover correctly without having to remove the cover. Here is a link to my thread that deals with IW install.

BigBart33

Established Member
Ah I see how it works. My timing chain cover is already off so maybe it will be a bit easier.

Btw I have the entirety of the Metco crank pulley kit (the idler relocator, etc.), and this balancer. Shouldn’t need anything else right? Does the balancer change either belt size at all (besides the obvious change from the bigger lower pulley).

One more question, do you think the super duty balancer places any more load on the crank snout vs the OE or non super duty balancer?

You will need to replace the timing cover gasket, with the one it comes with. That can be a pain. You need to get the old one out without scratching / marring the timing cover, and press the new one in, which can be tricky. I ended up buying a otc tool so that I could press the seal in the cover correctly without having to remove the cover. Here is a link to my thread that deals with IW install.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm guessing by gasket you guys mean the front main crank seal? The crank pulley doesn't have anything to do with the pullies and belt you mentioned. Those are all on the outer blower belt.

It shouldn't add anymore load per say. I'm assuming it should do a better job of absorbing the harmonics. The load the crank will see now is from the blower belt since the support is gone. Don't get crazy with the blower belt tension.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I run the HD balancer. It’s a nice piece. I highly recommend it. It does not change any belt lengths. The timing cover seal is easy to replace, especially if the timing cover is off already.

I opted for the dual Keyways too, only do this if your crank is out and you can have a machine shop cut you a second keyway. I also opted to have my crank upgraded to use a 9/16” bolt to hold the dampener on (stock uses a M12). I brought the crank, dampener, and the bolt to the shop and had it all sized to fit. The washer on the bolt had to be turned down to fit the IW dampener.

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2165.jpeg

BigBart33

Established Member
nice, thanks. yeah I’d love to do a double keyway but not taking the crank out currently. did you have to clearance the timing chain cover? The manual recommends it for overdrive balancers which this shouldn’t be.

03' White Snake

Established Member
nice, thanks. yeah I’d love to do a double keyway but not taking the crank out currently. did you have to clearance the timing chain cover? The manual recommends it for overdrive balancers which this shouldn’t be.
No, nothing needed to be modded on the timing cover.

Users who are viewing this thread