Installed Bassani x-pipe w/cats...AWESOME!

edslowey

Established Member
Finally got the Bassani x-pipe...couldn't wait until the weekend so I stayed up until 2:00 last night getting it on the car. Pretty easy install, except that the stock stuff was a major PITA to get off, especially the passenger side header bolts. I think I woke up everybody in the neighborhood blasting up and down the street. The combination of Bassani x and Borla cat-back sounds really cool. No drone, just a low rumble that is totally awesome. Now if the Bassani headers would just come out...

R6 MiG

Established Member
that the combo i want to go its it really loud or just right
do you think it sounds close to the bassin cat back or no.

edslowey

Established Member
The sound to me is just right. I don' think that it is excessively loud. I do get nasty looks from old ladies, though . SOTP acceleration feels better, but it may be psychological with the great new sound... . Anyway, I'm going to the dyno Tuesday hopefully. I'll post the results.

steed76

Established Member
BASSANI

THE BASSANI CAT BACK SOUNDS VERY GOOD ALSO. WHEN YOU INSTALL THE PULLEY AND CHIP THE COMBINATION WORKS GREAT TOGETHER.

steed76

Established Member
WELL ED WE STARTED INSTALLING THE UPR KIT WITH THE AUTOLOGIC KIT AND GOT SOME PREIGNITION. SO WE SWITCHED TO THE DIABLO CHIP WITH 3 STAGE PROGRAM KILLER I DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO DESCRIBE IT. i AM A SVT AND SPECIAL VEHICLE SERVICE ADVISOR AT A FORD DEALER i TAKE CARE OF ALL THE SVT/ROUSH/ AND SALEEN VEHICLE'S WHEN THEY COME IN. WE HAVE INSTALLED ABOUT 12 KITS TOTAL OF ALL KINDS. i GET TO DO ALL THE RESEARCH ON ALL PERFORMANCE VEHICLE AND SEE THE BENEFITS OF MY WORK...

steed76

Established Member
WE ARE USING A 2.8" PULLEY AND HAVE HAD NO CONCERN WITH BELT SLIPPAGE AT ALL! hOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR EXHAUST I HAVEN'T HEARD THE BORLA SETUP YET?

edslowey

Established Member
I love it. No drone, good bass rumble. Just got back from the dyno, got 397.2 hp @ 5750 RPM, 407.0 ft-lbs @ 3750 RPM. Not too bad with stock program and stock pulley. I think I am going to get the Metco 4/6 lb interchangeable lower pulley kit...

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by edslowey
Finally got the Bassani x-pipe...couldn't wait until the weekend so I stayed up until 2:00 last night getting it on the car. Pretty easy install, except that the stock stuff was a major PITA to get off, especially the passenger side header bolts. I think I woke up everybody in the neighborhood blasting up and down the street. The combination of Bassani x and Borla cat-back sounds really cool. No drone, just a low rumble that is totally awesome. Now if the Bassani headers would just come out...

How long did it take for the whole install? Any special tools that you would recommend?

Thanks!

edslowey

Established Member
Re: Re: Installed Bassani x-pipe w/cats...AWESOME!

Originally posted by Jon
How long did it take for the whole install? Any special tools that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Probably about 3 hours total. About 2 hours of that was getting the *@#$ stock pipe off the car. It certainly could be done quicker than that, especially if you have some extra hands around. Now that I know how to do it I could probably get it done in about an hour. A BIG part of the hassle is doing a job like this without a lift. I made some wood ramps like the ones on Mustangworld's website that I can drive up on and give about 10 inches of lift to the tires. You must have a universal joint and about an 8 inch extender for your socket wrench to get the passenger side header bolts. You need a set of metric deepwell sockets. All 4 O2 sensors have about 6" pigtails with connectors; I found that it was easier to disconnect the connectors and remove the sensors from their bungs after the stock pipe / cats were removed from the car. Then you can install them in the Bassani before you crawl back under there. The connectors are easy to reach except for the passenger side front one. Small hands would help here. Having another person to help hold things while you line them up would make it much easier.

Hope this helps

Ed

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Installed Bassani x-pipe w/cats...AWESOME!

Originally posted by edslowey
Probably about 3 hours total. About 2 hours of that was getting the *@#$ stock pipe off the car. It certainly could be done quicker than that, especially if you have some extra hands around. Now that I know how to do it I could probably get it done in about an hour. A BIG part of the hassle is doing a job like this without a lift. I made some wood ramps like the ones on Mustangworld's website that I can drive up on and give about 10 inches of lift to the tires. You must have a universal joint and about an 8 inch extender for your socket wrench to get the passenger side header bolts. You need a set of metric deepwell sockets. All 4 O2 sensors have about 6" pigtails with connectors; I found that it was easier to disconnect the connectors and remove the sensors from their bungs after the stock pipe / cats were removed from the car. Then you can install them in the Bassani before you crawl back under there. The connectors are easy to reach except for the passenger side front one. Small hands would help here. Having another person to help hold things while you line them up would make it much easier.

That's great help, thanks! I may want to tackle this next weekend provided provided I can get my turkey-stuffed belly under the car.

-Jon

Hope this helps

Ed

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
ed,

how loud is that thing at WOT with the x pipe and Borla catback? What mufflers does that catback use?

edslowey

Established Member
Loud. Not TOO loud, but loud. I have an 88 McLaren vert with mac pipes and Flowmasters that is louder, and more raw sounding.

The catback uses Borla mufflers. I'm pretty sure that this system is what Steeda sells with their name on it.

My1stFord

Established Member
Good to hear... about one month w/ the Basanni's and no check engine light or other probs?

can you say ... SOLD!!!

I'll report when I get mine installed although the wood I sport from Texas after hearing my ride w/ that Bassani sound will be visible nationwide.

edslowey

Established Member
I think you'll like it. Mine actually sounds even better now that I've got the new chip and pulley; not sure why, but it does. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread