Intercooler pump

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Mine went Tango Uniform. I'm glad I was running an Interceptor guage showing the IAT's. On a very cold night and just a short drive staying out of the boost IAT-2 was at 160 deg.
Anybody else have any issues with theirs? Ordered another from Tousley.

jcthorne

Established Member
I replaced mine last week. Had been in and out for several weeks before I figured out what was going on.

Best pricing I found on the OEM pump was RockAuto for $143.

BuyFordRacing.com has the lightning pump for $99 which will fit and work just fine if you reuse your existing rubber and steel bracket.

Bulldogger

Established Member
I believe the Johnson CM30 pump will fit also, I think that pump has a better track record for longevity. In the SRT6 and SLK32 mercedes they use the Bosch intercooler pump which is the same as the ford lightning pump. Most of them including me have switched over to the CM30. Ithink the CM30 was a tad thicker and I just compressed the rubber isolater more.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
According to Tousley the lightning pump and the gt-500 are the same pump with different part numbers because one comes with a bracket and one does not. $60 plus shipping from Tousley.

jcthorne

Established Member
Wow, $60 is a great price. Below dealer cost for the Motorcraft pump. heck that is below Ford's cost from Bosch. you got a deal.

I'll have to look into the Johnson pump. who carries it and how much?

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
Do your self a favor and get a meziere pump for 300$ The stock pumps are junk and the impellar is drivin by a magnet. When it gets a partical in it, the thing locks up.....

Just my 2cents from experience

03 cobra, lightning and gt500 pumps are all the same. Ford got smart on the Ford GT supercar and put a good pump in them. The cobra jet also uses something other than a oem pump i believe.

Bulldogger

Established Member
Here is a good price for them:
Auto Performance Engineering - Johnson CM30P7-1
As a general rule once you use these CM30 your done I haven't seen any fail. I believe they are $160 shipped. If you do the install yourself you can gamble on the $60 dollar Bosch crap. But If you are paying someone I would spend the extra and do the Johnson unit. (Ha Ha he said Johnson)

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Here is a good price for them:
Auto Performance Engineering - Johnson CM30P7-1
As a general rule once you use these CM30 your done I haven't seen any fail. I believe they are $160 shipped. If you do the install yourself you can gamble on the $60 dollar Bosch crap. But If you are paying someone I would spend the extra and do the Johnson unit. (Ha Ha he said Johnson)

Are those a magnetic drive like the stocker?

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
Mine went Tango Uniform. I'm glad I was running an Interceptor guage showing the IAT's. On a very cold night and just a short drive staying out of the boost IAT-2 was at 160 deg.
Anybody else have any issues with theirs? Ordered another from Tousley.

You may have done this already, but thought I would ask... did you check your relay by jumpering your s/c relay position #9? If you get one from Tousley you can use your bracket with no problem.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Just for kicks before you spend any money on a new 6 gpm pump check out www.dadscustomintercoolertank.com They have a killer half round 5.5 gal. tank that fits into your unused spare tire well in your trunk, and has a built in 33 gpm pump in the tank. 30 lbs. of ice over the axles!! Cost is about $400.00 with the pump. Mine is do in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
You may have done this already, but thought I would ask... did you check your relay by jumpering your s/c relay position #9? If you get one from Tousley you can use your bracket with no problem.

Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked. Once I got the front grill off I checked the end of the plug for power as well. When I turned the ignition on I could feel the pump vibrating and hear it humming, but had no flow. I then drained the system from a drain **** I had installed a few months ago to make sure I did not have any blockages in the heat exchanger.
As I said in an earlier post I probably would have never known there was a problem (at least for awhile) if it weren't for the aeroforce guage.

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked. Once I got the front grill off I checked the end of the plug for power as well. When I turned the ignition on I could feel the pump vibrating and hear it humming, but had no flow. I then drained the system from a drain **** I had installed a few months ago to make sure I did not have any blockages in the heat exchanger.
As I said in an earlier post I probably would have never known there was a problem (at least for awhile) if it weren't for the aeroforce guage.

So, did you just recently put in a new aftermarket H/E or Reservoir? If you hear your pump running and power is going to it...this is one more thing to check, before you buy a new pump...See link below and my post#30

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/650858-afco-h-e-single-spal-fan-2.html

Last edited:

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
So, did you just recently put in a new aftermarket H/E or Reservoir? If you hear your pump running and power is going to it...this is one more thing to check, before you buy a new pump...See link below and my post#30

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/650858-afco-h-e-single-spal-fan-2.html

I have been running the R/R heat exchanger and bigger reservoir for more than a year with no problem. I guess it's possible the pump was cavitating, but unlikely.
I appreciate all the suggestions and I will make sure the upper hose has some fall to it.

pony23

Established Member
Tasca replaced my pump with the Ford GT40 pump. They said it made a big difference in iat's.

jcthorne

Established Member
Maybe i'm old fashion. But i just pull mine apart and clean it. Works killer and doesn't cost anything but about an hour of your time.

Many do not fail from dirt. Mine was a bearing failur on the non-drive end. They are only sleeve bearings. The mag drive is a good feature, eliminates seals on the pump shaft. The bearings should have been sealed ball bearings. But that costs $4 extra...

Users who are viewing this thread