Interesting tid-bit! Concerning the 2003 Cobra...

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
I visited my dealer today to ask him some questions. During the conversation, the salesman stated he believed the 2003 Cobra will have an outstanding resale value. I asked him why, as i was thinking to myself I know what he was about to say. He continued and informed me he heard a rumor that the 2004 Cobra engine specs might change, with the hp roughly around 350 horses. He noted that if these rumors are true that the 2003 Cobra will be a unique vehicle to own. He mentioned he had a customer trade in a 2001 Cobra with less then 20,000 miles. He said the price of the 2001 Cobra was rougly 32,000 +\- new. They took the trade and gave the owner 25,000 for the vehicle. A 6000 dollar depreciation after 2 years. 3000.00 a year, that aint bad!

(Before I visited him I knew of this rumor after reading an article about the 2004 Cobra.)

Since I did not bring up the subject to the salesman and he mentioned it, maybe we should do some research and see if the rumor is true.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
i also wanted to trade my 01 cobra with 6k miles, but the damn dealers only wanted to give me 20-23k..so i sold it to a private party for 27k. ; )
So if that person got 25k for a 01 with 20k miles..then hes just plain lucky.....or hes paying a 5k over msrp for the 03..and the dealer is just really paying him 20.

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
yea, I know what you mean, I just sold my 200GT to another person and made 2100.00 more then if i were to trade it in.

NC Cobra

Established Member
There is no way to know what a dealer is going to offer for any given car. Case in point... I bought a 99 Ford Ranger to drive while I was waiting for my 03 Cobra. I tried to buy a 99 Ranger with 34,000 miles from the dealer that I had just ordered the Cobra from. They were asking$ $9900.00 but since I had just ordered ths Cobra they were willing to let me "have it" for JUST $8900.00.

I walked from that deal and got a friend with a dealers license to buy one at the auto auction, exact same truck- same milage for $6600.00.

NOW GET THIS.

I was planning to trade the truck on the Cobra and was prepaired to accept $6000.00. I had only put about 6000 miles on the truck.

When deal time came the dealer offered me $3300.00 for the Ranger. I actually thought he was kidding around with me since I knew about half of the guys that worked there . He wasn't. They thought their Ranger was worth $8900, but my Ranger was only worth $3300.00.

I left the dealership and put the car in AutoTrader. Sold the Ranger about a week later for what I paid for it. I took my money and went to a dealer about two hours away and bought my Satin Silver Cobra for MSRP, which they had on the lot because the guy that ordered it could't get financed.

Lesson learned, for about the tenth time, is that the dealer will never give you what you want and most of the time will never give you what it is worth. And don't even bother asking them why they are thousands of dollars lower than the "trade in" values listed in NADA or Kelly Blue Book.

For anybody that made it this far in this post, thanks for letting me vent a little bit.

Cobra'03

Established Member
It is an old dealer ploy - I always say "Retail for retail, wholesale for wholesale". The dealer's wet dream is retail for the sale, and they give you auction price for your trade. You just gotta be savvy and expect it, be prepared, and know market values. Actually, used car prices have dropped since the low and zero interest incentives.

ArkangelX3

Established Member
Tell me how this sounds. my Fully Loaded MG 2002 GT, with 14000 miles, not even one year old (will be in december), getting $18, 500,,,good=)?????

IDAREU

Banned
I work at a dealership, we just took in a 99 gt coupe ,26k and we gave them acv of 12k. seemed like a lot to me!

NC Cobra

Established Member
COBRA'03

These guys never even blinked when I walked away from the $40,000.00 vert. They knew they could sell the car the same day to someone else. I guess they figured the price of admission to my Cobra was an offer 50% under trade-in value for my Ranger. I made my point by walking away - he made his point by letting me. Not much room for negociation there.

NC Cobra

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yes of course, with a high demand car all bets are off. But abut half the times I have walked, I got called back within 5 days. Kind of like trying to do the Prom Queen - it never hurts to ask.

haskett

Established Member
I haven't talked to or heard of a dealer yet that knew half of what we enthusiasts know. Ford does not keep the dealerships informed about anything, so I wouldn't waste any time thinking about rumors that dealerships were sharing...

Just my 2 cents. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread