Is Ford getting ready to announce a 750 HP SVT Mustang w/ the 'Trinity' motor?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Just a data point on the Trinity...FRPP was developing an upgraded supercharger/tune kit for '13/'14 vehicles in the hopes of delivering a package that delivered somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 hp. They ran into two problems - they were melting exhaust valves as well as the cats. They lowered the number they were looking for but eventually got to a number that wasn't significant enough to warrant the expense. In the end, they abandoned the kit. And while I know that production is quite a bit different than FRPP, it should clue everyone in as to the challenge of meeting current (and future) EPA emissions requirements as well as Ford's own internal durability standards. A ~750hp production engine would be one hell of a feat that would require one of the most robust catalytic converters ever made. I believe Faurecia is supplying the cats for the Hellcat (as they did for the GT500's as well) and it'll be interesting to see if they are still using a ceramic matrix/core or have moved on to a different material and technology.

Awesome info here. I'm hanging out with my brother-in-law right now and read this response aloud to him, then I asked if there are more advanced options for cats. He said that to his knowledge there are only metallic and ceramic sub-strates available and that the diameter of the catalytic converters can be increased for more flow at the expense of not being as effective in scrubbing the exhaust gases (ie not hitting emissions targets). He also said that there are only 3 manufacturers in the world for the sub-strates: Corning, BASF, and one other that he couldn't remember off the top of his head; they produce a limited number of different sizes for these sub-strates therefore the options available for low-volume high horsepower production applications are limited. So Faurecia buys the sub-strates from one of those three and manufactures the final product for Ford, Dodge, etc. He also said that packaging constraints would be a major obstacle, putting a non-practical size of cat on an engine that's sitting on a dyno would be easy but getting it to fit the vehicle is a major challenge.

I'll pick his brain some more later on and ask how he would address the melted exhaust valve issue and how he would go about getting to 750 in a production vehicle application for a reasonable cost. (He's an M.E. who does advanced engine designs for non-automotive applications)

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Sadly, monies are being directed towards the upcoming S550 and as such we may not see newly developed S197 pieces.

I have two Mustangs in my stable and both were completely abandoned by Ford Racing at birth (Try finding FRPP power parts for the B head Cobras). Can I pick the bastard children or what?

Ironically, I've been one of the biggest supporters of FRPP parts and tunes in an aftermarket flooded with other flashy options. After years of watching FRPP brag about their unmatched development and validation resources (which I still believe in FWIW) only to be told my car isn't worth their time, I'm done. No more rah-rah from me around the water cooler. I'll quietly ignore FRPP in the same way they have ignored me.

Independent aftermarket, you might not be the prettiest girl in the bar, but I've had a few drinks and it's getting late... Wanna dance?

[video=youtube;UsjoFZEwAyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UsjoFZEwAyI[/video]
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UsjoFZEwAyI[/video]
I apologize for the foul language, but youtube automatically puts the original owners title on the Video, and I don't know how to get around it.

Last edited:

03Bite

Established Member
This would be wishful thinking. Maybe it would be similar to when Chevrolet released hp numbers on there ZL1. They had there few minutes of excitement then Ford crushed that with there news of the 2013 Shelby gt 500. :p

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Awesome info here. I'm hanging out with my brother-in-law right now and read this response aloud to him, then I asked if there are more advanced options for cats. He said that to his knowledge there are only metallic and ceramic sub-strates available and that the diameter of the catalytic converters can be increased for more flow at the expense of not being as effective in scrubbing the exhaust gases (ie not hitting emissions targets). He also said that there are only 3 manufacturers in the world for the sub-strates: Corning, BASF, and one other that he couldn't remember off the top of his head; they produce a limited number of different sizes for these sub-strates therefore the options available for low-volume high horsepower production applications are limited. So Faurecia buys the sub-strates from one of those three and manufactures the final product for Ford, Dodge, etc. He also said that packaging constraints would be a major obstacle, putting a non-practical size of cat on an engine that's sitting on a dyno would be easy but getting it to fit the vehicle is a major challenge.

I'll pick his brain some more later on and ask how he would address the melted exhaust valve issue and how he would go about getting to 750 in a production vehicle application for a reasonable cost. (He's an M.E. who does advanced engine designs for non-automotive applications)

Great read. Thanks for that.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Great read. Thanks for that.

You're welcome. I was trying to pick his brain more but he's working on a special project that's taking all of his time at the moment. He did mention something called a wash-coat as well and conjectured that one of the big companies would probably supply that in addition to the substrate.

He has another side project going that he showed me the Auto CAD for. It's a clean-sheet engine design for a wealthy daredevil who's going for a land speed record at Bonneville. The specs on this engine are insane. I can't divulge the specifics but my jaw hit the floor when he told me. This engine should easily push the car into the record books.

Users who are viewing this thread