Just an FYI for new Cobra owners

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
I took my baby to the dealership this morning because, as I was dropping my daughter off at school, I noticed that the tem gauge begin to steadily works its way to HOT. By the time I pulled out of the parking lot the needle was buried.:eek:

I, then eased over to the nearest gas station and shut it down for a few minutes. While waiting I raised the hood and started sizing up the problem. I checked the lower radiator hose; everything looked fine. Nevertheless, I started it up and babied it over to the dealership about 2 miles away.

When the tech got it up on the lift, we both saw the problem- the radiator hose from the thermostat housing to the oil cooler had come off and emptied most of my coolant somewhere along my route. Upon further investigation, we noticed that the clamp, that was to secure the hose, was not "unlocked" and, therefore, was not tightened around the hose. This is supposed to be done at the factory when the motor is installed into the chassis. Also, the dealer is supposed to check the car out when it arrives.:shrug: So, two failures occurred.

Fortunately, nothing was harmed. The technician checked the actual engine temp and it was no higher that 215 degrees; man, was that good news to me.

Anyway, the point is that all you guys need to check out your future puchase very closely. Even with good quality control procedures, some things fall through the cracks.

I was lucky.

cobrablue

Established Member
yeah what happened to new car prep? dealers seem to have forgotten this ritual. i got one better. my luh nuts started to fall off. got out the torque wrench. 10 out of 20 were loose. including one lost lock which i luckily found in the parking lot at work. gotta do it yourself if you want it right:mj:

coleman

Established Member
yes, my puzzle lug fell off somewhere :(
dealership installed new ones; now i have 3 spare and an extra puzzle adapter :)

other minor items that i haven't taken it in for:

1. tri-clops is cracked above the left nut -- too tight i guess
2. both sides have a dull area near the roof just above and behind the doors
3. a bracket in front, left, below the belt is loose, no nut holding the harness -- just loose.

TPOC

Established Member
Thanks very much for the tip, gonna check it out tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread