Just bought a 99 GT

lightning Jeff

Established Member
Just bought a 99 GT, 1 owner that has 12,009 miles on it. It is an auto:bash: . A lady in her late 40's owned it. This is what I want to know. Hope you guys can help.
Can I take the 80mm that was stock on my lightning and use it on the mustang. The 80mm on the Lightnings flow more I was told due to a post in the middle of the mustangs mass air meter.
I have a set of 4:30 gears sitting here too. If I install them will that mess up my shift points without a chip installed?? I know my speedo will be off though. Thanks for any help.
Jeff:D

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I've seen the MAF swap, but the injectors in the L are a different rate, 30# I believe where the GT's are 19#. The L MAF insn't calibrated for your injectors. You could just port your stock MAF. It's plastic and not difficult to do at all.
I don't know if gears that big will throw the shift points off, but they are too big for an auto if it is a daily driver. A 2800 stall with stock gears will net you better results at the track. 4:30's will give you traction problems. The stall and stock gear combo will give good 60 ft. times without the same tire smoking worries as the 4:30's

Last edited:

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by lightning Jeff
Just bought a 99 GT, 1 owner that has 12,009 miles on it. It is an auto:bash: . A lady in her late 40's owned it. This is what I want to know. Hope you guys can help.
Can I take the 80mm that was stock on my lightning and use it on the mustang. The 80mm on the Lightnings flow more I was told due to a post in the middle of the mustangs mass air meter.
I have a set of 4:30 gears sitting here too. If I install them will that mess up my shift points without a chip installed?? I know my speedo will be off though. Thanks for any help.
Jeff:D

I believe the Hypertech Power Programmer will fix your speed and shift points. As for the L mass air, you can get it re-calibrated which is pretty cheap. 4:30's are gonna be bad on the gas, but your gonna get a good take-off.

Good Luck,
Randy

BTW, nice stang !!

1BadAzzGT

Established Member
Yep, get some stall in it (believe the stock stall is around 2300'ish). You can also do some of the "Jerry mods" to that tranny to help it shift better (can provide link if you need it, goes into detail on bullitproofing the 4R70W transmission). I run the 3100 lockup PI Stallion converter and love it. Everyone is right, 4:30 gears will be a bit much. Good luck.

Also, the stock lightning MAF is a 90mm and for 42# injectors... unless you've changed the injectors in your car, they are 19#.

1BadAzzGT

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
Also I believe the L injectors are the low impedence type aren't they.

I have the lime green 42's.... I believe which are the ones from an "L". You can, however, get them to flow up to around 75# from what I hear. :)

Users who are viewing this thread