Just Dynoed 2001 Cobra Coupe!!!

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hey Guys!! Well... I just picked up my 2001 Cobra Coupe Sunday Afternoon with 2700 miles on it in Alq... Bought it from a Family... who needed to get rid of it.

Car was babied... you could tell she had NEVER been redlined... (By all the Carbon that came out the Exhaust every shift the first 100 Miles, Under full acceleration only) My friend was following behind me he was the one able to see it.

Well after doing multiple 140 - 150 MPH runs on the way home... lots of Redlining... doing everything I could to try and loosen her up. (I believe in driving them like you intend to early on... but not shifting quick) That is how I always break in my cars... But this one I obviously had no control over... and was trying to make up for lost time! :)

So... on Monday I ordered a New Holley Air Filter, and a Borla Cat-Back Exhaust. On Tuesday I decided to get her Dynoed Bone Stock! 3300 Miles on it now... and 3 days of me abusing it... hopefully she loosened up... but most importantly I wanted to get a Baseline, before I started bolting all sorts of stuff up!

SOOO... The Results (Have I made you wait long enough???)

1st Dyno Pull... 285.7 RWHP 288.8 RWTQ!!! Can you believe it!!!!

2nd Dyno Pull 279.9 RWHP 289.9 RWTQ!!! I was sooo pleased! I have a Z-06... and have been following the Cobra info closely... it seems the strongest ones were in the 276HP Range, and 285 TQ Range... So mine was right on par... just making a few more HP&TQ... Only mod is that when I picked up the car with 2700 miles on it... before it left ALBQ we had the Factory Fill of Oil dumped, and put in Mobil 1 5w30. That's It!!! (I usually would dump the factory stuff at about 600 miles had I owned her from day one!)

The Pulls were mirror images of one another... with the 2nd pull slightly losing HP from 5600-6800 due to heat probably.

The Test environment was...
91 Degrees Outside Air
Engine was full 200 Degrees (190 or whatever) I just came in from a 45 minute drive... only cool down time was the time it took to remove the coil wire, and tie down the car).
Hood was up, and a fan was about 3' in front of the car.

I know, I know Post Dyno Graphs... I am in Las Vegas on Business until tomorrow night... so hopefully Friday I can get them posted for you guys!

Anyways... I am really pleased... because this year I am going after F-Stock for SCCA Solo 2, and a lot of people do not give the Cobra Credit... LS-1's Dominate, and even 3rd Gen Camaro's still do well. But for '01 a Bullit was 3rd at the National Championship, and I have to believe a properly setup Cobra can do it! I have Penske Shocks being made for the car as we speak!

I took 2nd Place this Year in Super Stock (with the Z-06) at the Solo2 National Championship... And looking forward to F-Stock for '02!

Users who are viewing this thread