Just fitted the 00R shocks

hmwave

Established Member
Just fitted the 00R shocks - still hops bad

Just fitted the 00R shocks to the rear. 3hrs start to finish.
Passenger side was straightforward, no worries.
Prolly could have done it in 2hrs but I couldn't get the top nut on the driver side shock as the piston didn't poke through far enough.

Turns out the teeny circlip on the piston shaft had moved 1" up the shaft stopping the shock from seating properly.
Pretty amazing it stayed there as I had the full weight of the car on the wheel but the clip didn't move down under that load. Popped the shock out again, slid it down easily with my fingers and everything then fitted fine.

Only thing left to do now is the aluminum bushings which are in the post.

Time to wash up and go test it.
Wheel hop please be gone, damn you! :)

Last edited:

qmcobra

Established Member
so did you change anything else on the rear suspension or did you just swap factory shocks for R spec shocks.
Where did you get the aluminum bushings. I had heard some people say the steeda ones have to be modified, just curious

hmwave

Established Member
Just fitted the 00R shocks - still hops bad

I have MM IRS bushings, 315/35/17 GS-D3's at 26psi with 3/8" spacer, and now the 00R shocks.

Just came back from testing it. AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

It still hops violently! I'm getting pretty pissed off with this.
Maybe I need some stickier tires.

What else can I do?

I have 400HP, 400trq at the wheels and am about to fit a 2.8" pulley, currently stock pulley, with FIPK, FR500 catback, and Predator perf tune.

I ordered the aluminum bushings from [email protected].

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by qmcobra
I had heard some people say the steeda ones have to be modified, just curious

The Steeda ones don't need to be modified they fit fine, but the problem is they are urethane. Urethane is sensitive to heat and the differential gets very hot. Mine actually melt and was deformed when I removed them and replaced them with aluminum ones.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Re: Just fitted the 00R shocks - still hops bad

Originally posted by hmwave
It still hops violently! I'm getting pretty pissed off with this.
Maybe I need some stickier tires.

I don't know if it is the tires. I use to have Firestone SZ-50 on my 95 Cobra which had a tread pattern like that and had nothing but problems with them straight line they hopped, with a solid axle especially when spun up fast, and had almost no lateral grip. They were great in the wet they actually had the same performance wet or dry. I attributed the problems to the pattern. I don’t know what to say I had basically the same set-up as you except on the stock F1s and didn’t have a problem with hop. Do you know anybody who would let you run around the block with other tires preferable Nitto 555R 315s? If you are still hopping violently the pinion bushings might help some, but I doubt they are going to completely eliminate it.

hmwave

Established Member
My buddy had the Nittos. Maybe I'll ask him to try them out.

I have my old F1's on the stock rims, with a few mm of tread left.
After fitting the pumpkin bushings I'll try fitting those to see if they hop the same.

I have been considering fitting those stock rims with Nittos for the summer months so might go that way instead.

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
Phew! Just checked the Nittos, Treadwear of only 100!!!

How long do these things last? With the low tread depth sounds like they'd be gone pretty quickly.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
Phew! Just checked the Nittos, Treadwear of only 100!!!

How long do these things last? With the low tread depth sounds like they'd be gone pretty quickly.

My last set lasted over 1 year which was over 8k miles which I consider pretty good considering my driving and rwhp. My stock F1s only lasted 7k miles.

hmwave

Established Member
Sounds reasonable.
I'd have them on for maybe half the year and the GS-D3's for the rainy other half so I should see a reasonable life out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread