Just picked up Cpl...

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's also an automatic promotion for the Army. From what I understand you Marines really have to earn your E-4 as the Cpl is typically a team leader with the E-5 Sgt being a squad leader.

In the Army it's typical for E-5's to be team leaders. One of the reasons why we can promote so quickly to E-7 in the Army is that there are way more E-6 and E-7 slots. I know people in the Army who have made E-7 in 7 years.

Congratulations on your promotion and welcome to the NCO corp! :beer:

I think for the Marines it really depends on where you're at. In the infantry fleet a Lance could be a team leader and as a Cpl you should expect and be ready to be at least a team leader. Where I'm at now, this place is run mostly by Lcpls and Cpls and two or so Sgts for each platoon. In my platoon alone both our squad leaders were Lcpls that recently picked up Cpl, and the other is still a Lance. There were/are Cpls in the platoon serving under them, but because we are so small it comes down to seniority and we'll often have guys who have been stationed here longer but only recently passed our selections. So they'll have the higher rank, but still have limited knowledge of how we operate. It surprises some to see that that's how we do things especially for the importance of the mission, but the Marines and sailors that come here have to meet a higher standard in order for the clearance.

From what I understand 0311 Sgt is closed out. With the downsizing the Marines are opening very few seats to pick up Sgt.

Last edited:

motorider228

Established Member
Congrats Cpl! In the USAF most guys sew on SrA (E-4) around their 3 year mark. I had College and made Below the Zone (as I understand, our equivalent of a meritorious promotion for you guys) so I sewed on SrA at 22 months time in service. I just tested for SSgt. (E-5) out of cycle since I was deployed during the 2011 testing cycle, so we'll see in a couple weeks if I can make the jump to being an NCO as well. I don't think I did too hot on those tests though!

Again, congratulations!

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Congrats Cpl! In the USAF most guys sew on SrA (E-4) around their 3 year mark. I had College and made Below the Zone (as I understand, our equivalent of a meritorious promotion for you guys) so I sewed on SrA at 22 months time in service. I just tested for SSgt. (E-5) out of cycle since I was deployed during the 2011 testing cycle, so we'll see in a couple weeks if I can make the jump to being an NCO as well. I don't think I did too hot on those tests though!

Again, congratulations!

Thank you and good luck with your tests as well!:thumbsup:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I just tested for SSgt. (E-5) out of cycle since I was deployed during the 2011 testing cycle, so we'll see in a couple weeks if I can make the jump to being an NCO as well. I don't think I did too hot on those tests though!

Do you know what you had to score on the SKT/PFE to make the cutoff?

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
congrats man. Navy ranking is almost too easy, if you picked the right job. I got automatic E4 and made E5 the FIRST time at my 22 month mark in the Navy. Got busted down to E4 for fighting and picked up E5 again at my 4 1/2 year mark. It pays to be an amazing test taker in the Navy.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Yeah, I got my scores back today, I made Staff by 18 points!!!!

Good deal. Now comes ALS. I've heard it's worthless for practical purposes. Learn from the good NCO's and the bad. Their mistakes can make you a better leader if you don't repeat them.

zapman

Established Member
^this, depends on if you enlisted 4 or 6 years and if you came in with stripes from school/rotc.

I put SrA on at my 3 year mark. Missed the cutoff date to test for SSgt by 4 days.

The fastest you can get to E4 is 18months TIS. Thats if you come in as an E3 straight out of basic and get SrA BTZ! I sewed on SrA December 23rd (merry christmas right? :D )

Been studying the PDG gotta make staff on my first time! Luckily just got my AR COM. Last week! =)

OP Congrats on making Cpl! Does the Army do their NCO Inductions state side just like they do in the desert? Was voluntold to help with one last month.....so glad the AF is just like hey heres your rank congrats instead of putting on a whole show for everyone lol!

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
The fastest you can get to E4 is 18months TIS. Thats if you come in as an E3 straight out of basic and get SrA BTZ! I sewed on SrA December 23rd (merry christmas right? :D )

Been studying the PDG gotta make staff on my first time! Luckily just got my AR COM. Last week! =)

OP Congrats on making Cpl! Does the Army do their NCO Inductions state side just like they do in the desert? Was voluntold to help with one last month.....so glad the AF is just like hey heres your rank congrats instead of putting on a whole show for everyone lol!

Honestly, don't know. I'm in the Marines and I'm stateside and we just had a tiny formation of just my squad in our barracks and did it there. I'm not sure How the Army does it.

zapman

Established Member
Honestly, don't know. I'm in the Marines and I'm stateside and we just had a tiny formation of just my squad in our barracks and did it there. I'm not sure How the Army does it.

Oh my bad thought I read you were Army! xD None the less congrats! I've got quite a few friends in the Corps!

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Cpl is the best rank in the Marine Corps. Need something cleaned? I'll grab a Lance. Need something planned? I'll get my Sgt.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Congrats on the new rank and pay raise OP!

Haha, my "promotion ceremony" was a voicemail from my CMSgt saying congrats you're a SSgt now. That was back in early '08, still waiting for a E6 slot to open up (typical Guard).

Users who are viewing this thread