Just ran my 01 cobra with NITTO drag and nothing broke (stock IRS)

silver01snake

Established Member
HEy there fellow 01 cobra owners. I just ran my car the other night with the Nitto Drags 275 40 17's and nothing broke. Yeah baby lol. I took it a little easy out of the hole with only launching at between 2,000 and 2,500 rpms slipping the clutch out. My first run was only a 13.40 at 105.46 with a grandma's take off of a 2.36 short time lol. I know wake up boy. Second pass was a little better with a short time of 2.24 and a time of 13.22 at 106. My best pass of the night was a 13.06 at 107. I talked to most of the people who were running that night and they all said they were running at least half a second slower then they usually run. All due to poor ass track conditions and hot humid weather. YOu've got to love hot south Florida. Cant wait for are one day of cold winter air to come lol. Ps. the 01 Cobra IRS seems to be taking the drag radial abuse I've been given it. Dont be scare to put them on now...

Last edited:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
good to hear! i'm thinkin about gettin some myself. Im kind of worried about the halfshalfts i here there not that strong and i have talked to alot of people that broke them, but its good to hear yours are holdin strong!
did u warm them up at all?
what mods do u have?

mike

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Quoting some famous words from a guy that has tested and tested the IRS..

"It's not a matter of IF they will break, it's a matter of WHEN they will break."

Joe Lynch :)

Nice numbers man.. Just be careful with DR's. For every story I hear of nothing breaking, I hear a story of them breaking.

Get some aftermarket shafts and with DR"s you will be trouble free for a long time!

Shawn

silver01snake

Established Member
My mods are: Mac off road h pipe with MIL's, Mac cats back, WMS cai kit, FRPP 4:10's, steeda pullies. Dynoed at 306 hp and 301.1 torq to the rear but without the pullies installed. I installed the pullies after the dyno run. I have hit the 12's with kumo's and a nice night and good track prep. I just took it easy with the DR's simply because of the history of people breaking half shaft's and just feeling out the way they hook and drive. I know the car's alot faster's on the DR's then the 13.06 I ran that night. I lighten the car up alot by taken out the passenger seat and the rear seat and bracket's, spare tire and jack. All this reduce the weight by about 150lbs. Good for a ten and a half. I was trying to get a mid 12 with doing all of this do to the fact that I've run a 12.84 at 107.27 on kumo's. But, like i said I was taken it very easy. I wanted to drive it home not tow it home.
Ps. the car seem to hook even better on the street then the track with the DR"S. I just race a brand new 03 cobra 2 times the other night leaving a car meet and beat him both times. Who says you have to have a blower to be fast..... Oh yeah, I'm going to race an 03 cobra with 440hp to the rear just to see how bad he beat me. I thinking not to bad since we both run about the same at the track. Well, we will see here. Boy I'm going to get alot of sh-t on this from the 03 cobra guys by saying this on here lol. But, oh well its the true. Come watch me race. I'll show ya.... Cant wait to install the 175hp nozzle NOS kit I have. Coming soon????????????? :lol:

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
ive made 4 passes this year on my nittos with a best 60 ft time so far or 2.125. the nittos seems to give a little bit if you dont warm them up real good. I was launching at 3000 rpm with no snapage yet.
Jay

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
It's no wonder the half shafts haven't broken, you aren't using the Nittos to their max potential as evidenced by the 60 foot time. I've pulled a 1.97 on my stock Cobra with stock tires. Launch a little harder next time and your 60 ft will come down a lot, but you may also break something.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
sounds like you go to a track that preps a hell of alot better than the one I go to. people complain about the 60' times at the track i go to all the time. the best 60' i got at this track on street tires was 2.187. now im 2.0 with the nittos pretty consistant. also it was pretty cold here when i ran them too. it was like 41 degrees. but I was launching at 3000 rpms and hooking pretty hard.
13.4 in a stock cobra with 1.9 60' times is pretty damn good.
I would like to hear how you got such good times. If I would drive like you I should be in the 12's. let me know what you launch at and shift points and style of shifting . I know i would love to know and Im sure tons of other people on here with stock cobras that run 14.0 and 13.9's would love to hear it too. especially those awesome 60' times you get on street tires.
take it light
Jay:beer:

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
I race at Houston Raceway Park which is widely known to be one of the best and fastest tracks in the US. Yes, they prep the track very well but I've also been racing there for a while so I'm pretty well versed on launching. The IRS is definitely tricky to launch hard without wheel hop and that's really the trick. I rev up to about 3300 and release the clutch smoothly while keeping the revs above 3300 rpm. If the revs drop too much the car will bog and the launch is ruined. Work the two pedals to keep the revs up while releasing the clutch smoothly. After that I just shift as usual, which means lifting the throttle and shifting quickly.

But the point of my response was not to dog the guy or make myself look good. I was simply saying that the half shafts didn't break because they were not really stressed any more than what they would experience with regular street tires. I'll be impressed with our half shafts if they can withstand repeated 1.7 or 1.8 sixty foots times with Nittos. :)

Peace,
Nino

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
I think with some good track prep I would get some pretty good times. I got a couple 2.01 60' times this past sunday. I think I had a 13.3 run that day but for some reason I didnt get my 1/4 mile time or mph on my time slip, but my 1/8 time on that run was almost 1 mhp faster and my time was .064 faster than my 13.4 run. Plus my hood was right next to the door on the car next to me that ran a 13.2 I was kinda upset about not getting my time. The guy at the ET shack said " did you hit the trap hard?"
I was like " how am I supose to hit the traps?" He claims if you hit the traps to hard that it messes up the computer. So that shows you what kinda track i was racing at.
thanks for your post on style of driving Nino
Jay:beer:

Last edited:

Cobrachs

Established Member
Six passes so far on my nittos and knock on wood everything is still in one piece. So far my best 60 foot was a 1.902, with several other 1.9x. Hey Silver01Snake what type of Nozzle kit did you get, the universal? I am interested in one of those kits myself

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
I too am very intersted in the Nitrous kit you have. Someone else on this board has a Nitrous Express wet kit and is putting down 400+ HP and 500+ Torque to the ground with the NAWS!!:-D

Thanks,

Adam

Venomiss

Established Member
Hi there Silver01Snake
I'm located in Tampa and I noticed your in S. Florida. Congrats on your times. I wouldn't be too worried, your halfshafts are 31- spline which are stronger than the 28-spline 99 Cobra's come with from Ford. I too have been to the track and ran my '99 Cobra with Nitto's and got consistent times and 60'ft's out of em. 12.9's w/1.7, 1.8 60'fts. One misconception I'd like to help clear up is that the IRS halfshafts will break when there is severe wheel hop, but they won't break from hooking too hard or cutting low 60 ft's. It's basically the violent impact from wheel hop which stresses and weakens the shafts which in turn causes them to snap! I've never had wheel hop issues with my IRS and it's completely stock. My times achieved were with a 6,000 rpm launch. :burnout: It may sound extreme but it seemed to be the sweet spot from preventing the car from bogging and falling flat on it's face being that it still has the 3.27 gear. No burnout just a wheel spin to clean off any debris off the tires.

IMHO, the IRS is a awesome handling, drag racing and all around car :) So, if anyone is having trouble hooking with the IRS my suggestion would be to try different variations of rpm launches and tire pressures. Good luck with the testing and tuning!

BTW, that pic of the broken halfshaft is skurry :dw: I got myself a spare set of halfshafts just in case ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread