Keepin Black STI nice and clean with out the tiny scratches?

89LXcoupe

Established Member
The dealership will be doing a special clear coat that I am having them do, but I just want to make sure I dont get all those tiny little scratches all over the car. I was thinking of one of those dusters to just dust it off rather then washing it every couple of days.

What should I use to wash/dry it without scratching it?

Thanks guys.

Scott P

Established Member
I hope they didn't charge you too much for the package. It's a common dealer add-on that is pretty much strictly profit.

To keep it swirl free, use a lambswool mitt and two buckets to wash the car. Keep one bucket of clean water to rinse your mitt in before washing the next panel. Flow the water off with a hose to get a lot of it off. Use a nice quality waffle weave microfiber drying towel to blot the remaining water off. Or, use just the lightest of pressure and drag the towel across the car to dry it.

Fordy

Established Member
The dealership I work at charges 400 dollars for a full detail called " The Finishing Touch" :thumbsup: They say no need to wax your car for 4 years, its a teflon coat, I've seen many many cars after this and its absolutely incredible. Never seen or felt paint as perfect as it is when they finish. Smoother than new. Full interior/engine as well.

hglhndr85

Banned
thats bs,i am a detailer at a caillac/chevy dealer and paint protection is just a few diff coats of a wax ans sealant for new paint and should only cost like$90.and NO wax will last 4 years period.

Fordy

Established Member
Its not a wax, its some kind of teflon coat, and its not 90 dollars. If you don't believe me, go to a Ford dealer and ask what the finishing touch is. The service writers tell the customer after they get it "You won't need to wax for 4 years, however, if you choose to wax......" then they ramble on.

Last edited:

Scott P

Established Member
Fordy said:
Its not a wax, its some kind of teflon coat, and its not 90 dollars. If you don't believe me, go to a Ford dealer and ask what the finishing touch is. The service writers tell the customer after they get it "You won't need to wax for 4 years, however, if you choose to wax......" then they ramble on.

Actually, it is a gimmick. I'm sorry to have to tell you, but there is no product out there that will protect for five years. DuPont has come out years ago stating that Teflon has no effect on the protective qualities of car care products. I know they just released a line of products, but it is nothing more than marketing BS.

Juiced-03

Established Member
hglhndr85 said:
thats bs,i am a detailer at a caillac/chevy dealer and paint protection is just a few diff coats of a wax ans sealant for new paint and should only cost like$90.and NO wax will last 4 years period.

You are absolutely correct. I was the detail manager for California's number 1 Toyota dealer and we called it "Touch of Class". It was a shitty paint sealant called "Seal-Tek" by Blue Coral. Hell, the detailers didn't even know how to use a high speed buffer. Half the time, the detailers would would just apply the sealant on a car after it had only been washed! No clay bar wash, no polishing, no paint prep. Just run the car through the tunnel wash and apply the sealant. The touch of class department was not part of my responsibility, but if it was, I would have fired everyone of those detailers.

Fordy said:

No, I believe you, but not the dealership. I have been around detailing for years and have never seen a product that will last longer than 6 months or so (and it wasn't a product that would ever be found at a dealership!). Service advisers are just as dumb headed as the customers are. You have to remember that detail product distributors FIGHT for a dealership's business and will tell the shop manager anything to get them to sign a contract to use their products. Our dealership used Blue Coral, and the distributor convinced our shop guy that his products were FAR superior than anything else in the world :rolleyes:. I hated using anything that was at that dealership. That Seal-Tek crap that was used on the Touch of Class cars probably lasted about a week. I tested it on some of the lot cars and noticed it was pretty much done after the first lot wash day which was the following thursday after I had applied it. We charged anywhere from free (for heat customers) to $1,000 for this $20/gallon sealant detail, which was happily applied by your local high school drop out. Most customers were not satisfied with the way their car looked especially after the first wash. Once the service writer had the customer's money though, he didn't care about the follow up! Those who were satisfied were the types of people that wash their cars once every year or so and a Turtle Wax coat would have made them happy. Our dealership was all about making a vehicle look good until it sold and left the dealership, then let the customer deal with it after it leaves. If the customer came back with a problem, they got a foot in the ass.

Scott P said:
Actually, it is a gimmick. I'm sorry to have to tell you, but there is no product out there that will protect for five years. DuPont has come out years ago stating that Teflon has no effect on the protective qualities of car care products. I know they just released a line of products, but it is nothing more than marketing BS.

:beer:

After my long days of working at the dealership, I would come home and go onto Autopia just to get some relief from the dealership detail hell. Using Blue Coral, Production, and Ardex products makes a person go crazy when the products do nothing and are impossible to remove from the paint. I quit working for Carmax and Toyota and now I work for myself while I go to school. I hope I never work at another dealership again! The lies that are told to the employees and customers alike are unbelieveable.

Fordy

Established Member
I c. I should have figured. If the world only knew the shady shit that my dealership gets away with. I'll tell the svc writer a problem with the car that needs to be fixed, they wont mention it just to get the person to leave. A couple dead batteries that needed to get jumped just to deliver the car back to the customer, the svc writer says just don't shut it off when you get done and bring it up here!

Users who are viewing this thread