Kenne Bell CAI issues...

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I just installed a Kenne Bell CAI on my 04 vert that is completely stock except for a FR500 catback. I guess I didn't do my homework because I expected some performance gain, but can't tell that I got anything. But there are a couple of things that have me concerned. The first is a noticable loss of low end and midrange torque. I don't have any hard dyno numbers to show you, but you can definitely tell by the seat of the pants. I can't tell you about top end because I wasn't able to do a before and after dyno test. The torque loss is enough to make the car stall leaving from a stop sign if you're not careful. Also, it now has a very slight surge at low rpm and light throttle. If I'm going through a school zone in 2nd gear at 15 mph, it is very noticable. Then, when you go to tip the throttle in, you get a slight flat spot that wasn't there before. As a matter of fact, if you lift the throttle slightly, the car will pick up. About the only thing I can see this kit did was make the blower noise more noticable on acceleration. I have triple checked the installation and there are no leaks and the MAF sensor is not rattling on anything. I emailed Kenne Bell and they informed me I should get 5 to 10 hp on a stock Cobra, but that the kit was not really designed for a non-modded car. Now they tell me. They said they had never heard of my issues before. I find that a little bit of a stretch...

Has anyone ever run across these types of problems with a CAI? Please don't suggest I go get it tuned. I'm not going there at this time and void my warranty. Even having a bung welded to the exhaust to have it checked will throw a flag. Besides, I have a very difficult time believing that a CAI could throw the factory tune that far out of whack. I've driven it enough that the computer should have "learned" the new setup, so I can't figure out what's going on here.

Thanks for all your input!!

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Two things off the top of my head. One is make sure your MAF is aligned correctly, and what did you do with the screen that was with the stock air filter housing? I tossed mine, and don't have any problems (but I have a different CAI). Some cars need to keep the screen to help smooth the airflow as it goes through the MAF.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You are correct Grey03Cobra! I should have mentioned that. The screen is in place. KB recommends leaving it in and I agree with your thoughts on leaving it out. Not worth it.

The MAF is installed at the same angle as factory. I was aware of that issue when I installed it.

Good points! Thanks!!

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by FireRed04Vert
You are correct Grey03Cobra! I should have mentioned that. The screen is in place. KB recommends leaving it in and I agree with your thoughts on leaving it out. Not worth it.

The MAF is installed at the same angle as factory. I was aware of that issue when I installed it.

Good points! Thanks!!

If you still have the screen in try taking it out and seeing what happens. I would also try disconnecting the MAF sensor and reconnect it again.

It just sounds like something is interrupting your airflow somehow.

1FastFord

Established Member
you said that you drove it enough for the car to learn but maybe try disconnecting the battery for a while to start fresh

AMB

Established Member
KB CLI Issues

The STOCK A/F is very lean at low & mid RPMs. Using a fenderwell type CLI sometimes causes some idle, low & mid RPMs problems. I had a KB CLI on my KB 03 Cobra and had some/ very little problems; BUT I have a custom tune. I then put the filter directly on the MAF adapter and the idle/mid RPMs were BETER.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
These are all very good ideas that I'm going to look at before I remove it. I hate to leave the filter under the hood...man it gets hot here...but I'm going to try some of this and see if the problem disappears. You would think that kb would fess up with some of their own ideas. You will never convince me they haven't seen this with all the testing they do.

j card

Established Member
Well, I have the same CAI and I didn't have any of those issues, and haven't heard of any of those issues on this forum over the last year and a half that I've been paying attention. It could be something specific to your car or the install. If none of us have had this problem, why would KB have this problem? Having worked in customer service for a few different manufacturers, I can tell you that the ratio of manufacturers fault vs Customers fault on problem issues - usually leans pretty heavily on the customer side most of the time. Don't just assume it's KB's fault.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
you know what Jcard? I've had two other guys pm me with the same problem. That's three of us. I don't have any idea what your experience is with computer controlled vehicles, but I'm 52 years old and I have done more work on Ford vehicles than most have. I even worked on EEC III systems! I taught EEC systems for OTC. I am a ASE Master and I have built and owned more fast vehicles than I care to remember. I have held 4 NHRA National Records. When I tell you it's installed correctly, it's installed correctly. I even used a sonic instrument to check for leaks. There are none. Why would I question KB? Because they never once offered one bit of advice as to what it could be. All they said was it wasn't really designed for a stock Cobra and that they haven't heard of the problem before. That is total BS. There have been drivablility issues with CAI for years dating back to the early 5.0's Anyone remember the fan causing idle issues on MAC kits back then??

I guess I'm a little upset because of their lack of concern. They got my money...as little as it was...and blew me off. That kit is a very poorly designed unit as far as fitment is concerned. Their own instructions don't show a car with intercooler hoses. You have to jam the filter in between the liner and hoses. I have not found a single person who has been able to use their clamp and brace on a factory intercooled car.

I completely understand your defense of the manufacturer. Many times it's the consumer who can't figure out how to properly install or use an item. But in this case...it's Kenne Bell who has chosen to ignore a valid concern from a money paying customer. All they had to do was try and help me out with some ideas for cryin' out loud!! They are a quality company that has a reputation that is second to none. That is why their attitude surprises me so much.

03RedCobra

Established Member
I bought the Kenne Bell CAI well over a year ago, and I only used it for about a week or two. I had some BIG time Idling problems. Stalled more times than not. Filter was TOO exposed to the elements, getting more dirty, and possibly WET if caught in some downpours. So, I took it off.

I tried the kit with the MAF in different positions, from straight up 12 o'clock, all the way over to about 8 o'clock. I tried it with the screen in, and the screen out. It actually ran a little better with the screen in.

Now here is the problem I think it had all along. The bends in the tubing BEFORE the MAF probably was just causing too much air turbulence, causing inconsistent cooling down of the MAF sensor, causing inconsistent signals to be sent to the computer for interpretation. When the screen was put back in, it ran a little bit smoother, so, this was probably "Straightening out" the incoming air, allowing a more consistent signal from the MAF.

I didn't feel the car had anymore power with the KB CAI, either with the screen in (as recommended) or out. Never had it on the DYNO to back up my "feeling", but, driveability is a good determinant.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
FireRed04Verrt, get rid of the KB CAI and go to a Steeda, K&N or other type of straight shot filter set up. I live in Tucson and although you are correct about the heat, the trade off for under hood heat VS proper idle, A/F and HP gain with a straight shot unit are not worth the hassle of a in fender, curved CAI. The first mod I did was the Steeda CAI, and may car ran great without a problem. You could feel the difference in the seat of the pants. Since then I have installed a KB supercharger and still run the Steeda. No problems.

Here is a suggestion though. Disconnect your battery for about 20 minutes and do a start up procedure as if you installed a new battery. The instructions are in your manual. This may clear up part of the problem.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Thanks for the info 03redcobra and Nightenforcer. I actually had one guy tell me he adapted the kb to an under hood design without the funky "dryer" hose and noticed a nice SOTP difference. I can't help but think you guys are right about the turbulence issue. I think a unit that goes in the fenderwell with a smooth bore inlet tube might work out, but for now, I'm taking the kb off and sell it to someone who has modded their car. I guess they work well on those. You guys are great! That's why this is about the only forum I spend time in!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Just an update...I took the kbCAI kit off this weekend and went back to stock. The bottom and midrange torque are back and it runs smooth as silk. Before I removed it, I tried different orientations of the MAF to no avail. I tried it as kb shows it in their instructions (straight up) and different other positions. nada. So off it came and I'm back to a great street driver. I don't doubt there is top end hp with their kit, but it's not worth the loss of bottom and midrange torque. That's where we spend the majority of our time after all. I'm going to email kb and see if they'll take it back, but I don't expect anything going that route. I'll probably just sell it to a modded Cobra owner.

Thank you to all who offered their help.

Users who are viewing this thread