Kenne bell ??

cjuni

Established Member
Hey Guys

I was thingking about adding a supercharger KB 8lb to my car (96 Cobra......all stock) & what i would like to know is what are the must have's.

Not that stuff I can wait to get later but the stuff that i would need in order to drive it right after the install????

Thanks in Advance

97whitecobra

Established Member
Yeah, me too, I just saw the article in MMFF with that on a 97'. But he had some problems and needed to upgrade some stuff. Motor looks sweet though.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
best thing is to build the powertrain up in its entirety first. then start with power adders. this way you dont worry about messing anything up. IMO, the S/C, Turbo, or NOS should come dead last in upgrades. Build up the motor first and you wont be disappointed. :beer:

cjuni

Established Member
I'm with you but.....

Thanks.......but that's not going to happen for $4K or less, so I'm going to have add the S/C

I'm thinkng maybe a 8lb Procharger and some injectors, is there other must adds to that set up????

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Re: I'm with you but.....

Originally posted by cjuni
Thanks.......but that's not going to happen for $4K or less, so I'm going to have add the S/C

I'm thinkng maybe a 8lb Procharger and some injectors, is there other must adds to that set up????

You can get your engine rebuilt with forged internal for under $4k.

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Rebuilding your engine is not needed if you plan on running the 6-8# K/B pulley on the 1500 series blower, and if installed yourself you could pull it off for under 4000 bones, everything comes with the kit needed to produce 340-360 rwhp on a stock Cobra.

If you willing to spend another 2 grand, you can ditch the FMU, upgrade the induction, and get a dyno-tune, and there are many, many people that are seeing around 400 rwhp and 400 fps torque on 96-98 Cobras.

With those kind of torque numbers and INSTANT boost, your buddies with centrifugals may have bragging rights at the track, but they had better hope you dont catch them at a stoplight downtown, the 60 ft. times of K/B Cobras are BRUTAL...and centrifugals are strong once they get rolling (really rolling!)

K/B advantages:- looks better with top of engine design
-easier to install
-instant full boost off idle
-unmatched tire-shredding torque
-more fun to drive daily (unless you drive around
at 5000 rpm all day)
-more efficient than centrifugal
-no oil pan tapping

K/B disadvantages: -K/B customer support
brings new meaning
to the word "sucks"
-no intercooler , but
there is water/alc. inj.
-can be hard to find a
tuner near you.

Last edited:

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
cjuni,
Here is a post I posted (is that a double-negative or something? haha) on KenneBell.com, awesome sight. There are also ALOT of K/B users on Stangnet. They are very, very knowledgeable, I'm just learning myself.
......................................................................................................
Funny that you should ask this, I have just completed EXTENSIVE research for blowing my 98 with a K/B, I plan on letting Kennedys in N.Y. do most of my work and all of my tuning. I may install myself and let them do the rest, havent decided. The following combo is what most everyone has decided is the best combo and with PROPER (Kennedys) tuning I think 380-400 rwhp is all but guaranteed, and hopefully will net me a very low 12 sec 1/4 mile pass (enough to beat 90% of Z06's). I hate Z06's

From Kennedys:
Chrome 8# K/B - $3800
Custom water injection/installation - $700
Autologic chip and dyno-tune - $600
Blower install - $1000
70 MM SINGLE BLADE OVAL T/B - $300
90 MM lmaf - $150
42# INJ - $400
Cold air kit- $270
Iridium plugs - $50 ?
Gauges - $300 ?
255 lph in tank- 150 ?

And that comes to a grand total of $6000-7000, but thats the way I want to do it, with a chrome blower, chrome BBK cak, custom water injection, and dyno-tuned by (from what I can gather) the best Kenne Bell tuner on the Eastern seaboard.

It for sure could be done cheaper, but I want it done RIGHT !!!

Good Luck!

cjuni

Established Member
THANKS......everyone

As far rebuliding my engine, it's not going to happen unless something goes wrong with it....(fingers crossed.)

OK....I know i started this thread talking about K/B but I'm growing fond of the 8# ATI Procharger. It has somevery good #'s for less then the K/B & it's also self contained & it has a intercooler.

I have talk to the people @ Kennedys (NY) and they are a great bunch of guys. I may still have them install the whole system, mostly cause they will dyno the car, burn the chip so the car will be pefect when I pick it up.

DOES anyone know/have any comments about the ATI Procharger?

DOHC Rocket

Established Member
Do any of you know of a Strut tower brace that would actually fit over the KB? I like the handling benefits of it but are centri's really "that" bad for the street?!

Users who are viewing this thread