Kenne Bell

SNK BITN

Established Member
As long as your tune is safe and your motor passes the compresion test, everything should be fine. Tons of stock blocked cobras are reaching 500rwhp, a KB wont take you that far. NOw your driveline.....

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
What SNK BITN said......do a leakdown/compression check and your good to go. There are MANY people running 6-10# K/B's on sn95 Cobras with no engine or drivetrain problems at all. I'd say the weakest point would be the tranny (big surprise!)with all that low end torque. Bottom End's fine.

Just make sure you invest in a good, safe dyno-tune!!!

Last edited:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Are these blowers better than Vortech Blowers?? It seems that they are just recently starting to get popular.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Originally posted by URDONE
Are these blowers better than Vortech Blowers?? It seems that they are just recently starting to get popular.

The kenne bell style blower(roots) has been around longer than the Vortech/Paxton style blower(centrifugal). The advantage to the roots style blower is low end power-when you step on it, it's making boost. The centrifugal makes boost a little higher up in the rpm band, but they are working on that. It all depends on what you want, and how high you want to rev the motor.

blk96SVT

Established Member
KB's are better for the street driver since it makes tons of torque down low whereas the centrifugal s/c's make a lot of hp up top. I would rather get an ATI Procharger w/a 3 core intercooler, that is what I'm working for now, probably won't happen for awhile though!

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by URDONE

I think the reason that alot of people are just starting to notice Kenne Bell is because of the "roots" blower on the 03' (and the 03' K/B kit) They have been around for a while and are awesome blowers, its just that Kenne Bells' marketing, support, and overall cooperation sucks ( ahem....JimBell...ahem)

There is a reason the 03's have roots type blowers. There is a reason that 99% of all factory-produced supercharged cars in history have had roots type blowers. That reason is reliability and efficiency.

I personally think Kenne Bell blowers (actually a twin screw design, much more efficient than a roots type blower) are better than centrifugal blowers for several reasons:

1- I want boost on the street, therefore I dont wanna have to wind the hell out of my engine in order to get boost, cause I dont cruise around Knoxville at 6000 rpm.

2- The thing that made me fall in love with Mustangs in the first place was that neck-snapping low end grunt of the 5.0's. The 4.6's have NO low end grunt, they are pathetic down low, and that is where they need help.

3- I like the "top of motor" old-timey look of the K/B, like the old drag cars of the 60's. The centris' look like a hairdryer...ghey! (JMO)

4- VERY reliable, VERY efficient, and VERY easy to install.

5- Most of my racing is done from stoplight to stoplight on the street, this is where the K/B shines. a centrifugal many times just doesn't have time to wind up and make max boost. A K/B's boost comes right off idle....gone before they even know what hit em!
That centri ~might~ get ya' at the strip, but he better hope you dont catch him at a red light downtown.

But in the end it is a matter of personal preference, if you want dyno numbers to pimp and a (very small) edge at the dragstrip, go with centrifugal. But if you want boost at all rpm's, a torque curve as flat as Kansas, and old-school neck snapping torque that the 4.6's certainly need...BAD! , go with a twin-screw.

Last edited:

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Oh yeah, a "roots" type supercharger is superior in a road-racing or autocross situations. Much smoother application of power and much easier to control boost exiting turns, etc.

A centri's boost is triggered by rpm, a K/B's boost is triggered by throttle position, so its much easier to "modulate" boost to keep the rear from breaking loose in potentially hairy situations.

Last edited:

SNK BITN

Established Member
One isnt necessarily "better" than the other, each have their strong points and make their power at different levels.

Users who are viewing this thread